TurboTax 2014 and importing TXF file

boilermaker75

Does anyone use TurboTax and import their brokerage transactions via a TXF file? Have you tried it this year? I am trying to do that with a TXF file from my IB account. When I try an import in TurboTax, my .txf file is not highlighted/selectable.

I have tried to Google to see if anyone else is having this issue and I have posted my issue on the TurboTax Help Center.

Although I don't know what the problem was, I was able to get my IB data imported into Turbotax. I was downloading the IB 1099 using Safari, which would not import to TurboTax. When I switched to Firefox the downloaded IB 1099 would import to TurboTax.

You can only do this with desktop turbo tax right? I am using web version so I can only manually copy and paste each transaction.

I view this as a reminder that I shouk not trade too much.

Although I don't know what the problem was, I was able to get my IB data imported into Turbotax. I was downloading the IB 1099 using Safari, which would not import to TurboTax. When I switched to Firefox the downloaded IB 1099 would import to TurboTax.

You can only do this with desktop turbo tax right? I am using web version so I can only manually copy and paste each transaction.

I view this as a reminder that I shouk not trade too much.

Yes, only with the desktop version.

• 1 year later...

For you Mac users, the exact same issue, and fix, this year when trying to download, and then import into TurboTax, the IB TXF file. Actually I had to search for this post of mine from last year to remember how I got it to work.

What's the advantage of using the desktop version instead of online version other than the ability to import IB 1099?

The online version is able to remember last year's loss carry-forward, though I know I can just manually do that myself.

I don't know. I have never looked at the on-line version.

I started using MacInTax at least 15 years ago, so I am just used to going with the desktop version.