Stocks you own but NOT discussed on board - yet

KinAlberta

I'm curious what shares people own that they are able to follow on this board but more interestingly, I'm curious what stocks board members own but no one started a thread on yet. 

Also, while most posters on this board likely fall into the "value investor" camp, I don't see any great harm in such investors holding the odd growth and even highly speculative (lottery ticket) stocks if the investor knows the risks.  So it would sure be interesting to see how some of the "unknown" positions are viewed by the holders.

For instance, here's one I just searched for and no mention of it turned up:

Not of Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax:

IMRIS (IM). Purely speculative  (A buy and sell position of mine.  Recently bought back into the stock)

ENTA.....biotech, nuff said

I'm curious what shares people own that they are able to follow on this board but more interestingly, I'm curious what stocks board members own but no one started a thread on yet. 

Also, while most posters on this board likely fall into the "value investor" camp, I don't see any great harm in such investors holding the odd growth and even highly speculative (lottery ticket) stocks if the investor knows the risks.  So it would sure be interesting to see how some of the "unknown" positions are viewed by the holders.

For instance, here's one I just searched for and no mention of it turned up:

Not of Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax:

IMRIS (IM). Purely speculative  (A buy and sell position of mine.  Recently bought back into the stock)

MIDD.  I've owned this (sometimes a large position, sometimes a small one like now) since about 2004.  The CEO Selim Bassoul knows how to grow a company through acquisitions and actually do it right. Reducing costs, incorporating new technologies, and adding value each time.  My only regret is that I should never have sold a single share.

GOTL-A/B - Gotlandsbolaget

This is a government subsidized monopoly ferry operator and shipping company. It trades over-the-counter in Sweden so I have no idea if you can even buy it from other countries, and the liquidity is not the best anyhow.

I could say a lot about this one, but the case in a nutshell is that they trade at something like 10x earnings at market cap of 2.5b, a huge cash buffer of 2.1b, with the ability to add quite a bit of debt and a proven record of retiring shares aggressively.

Alleghany Corp. (Y)

I have owned this one on and off for the last 7-8 years. Very similar to Berkshire Hathaway. An insurance holding company with a portfolio of about 60 stocks with a large bond portfolio. Has a rich and interesting history dating back to the late 1920's. Originally a railroad holding company controlled by the Van Sweringen Brothers out of Cleveland Ohio.

Their top holdings as of last quarter were CVX V CSX WMB AAPL

a sizable position in BNSF before Buffett ever bought in.

Currently it trades slightly under book.

B&C Speakers (BEC.MI) - Italian, family-controlled small cap, speaker component manufacturer for professional audio market. Its fallen quite a bit over the last year and trading around my cost. Its a full position for me so not keen to buy unless well below my cost price.  Dividend yield currently about 5.6%

Austex Oil (ASX: AOK) - Another one I've owned for little over a year and still holding.

• 2 weeks later...

benbuffett, it's harded to believe that Alleghany isn't extensively covered on this board.  For one thing, like Bill Gates, they were into railroads long before Buffett.

it surprises me that bam isn't more discussed here.

• 2 weeks later...

Tetragon Financial Group : Amsterdam listed PFIC (so US taxpayers beware), owns hedge fund interests, CLO equity tranches, and a growing alternative asset management business, trades for 58% of fully diluted NAV, 50% of gross NAV, big management discount because current management raped the company during crisis and abused fee structure that lacked high water mark, also a related party buyout of asset mgt co didn't help, they've been harvesting their book of pre-crisis CLO equity at good prices and have been diversifying the business and asset mix (was 90% CLO equity), progressive dividend policy that pays you 30-50% of steady state earnings, 6% yield, management is highly incentivized to get the stock px up in the next two years because of a large amount of options struck at $10 (where the stock is) that expire in 2017.

will do a more thorough writeup sometime but VIC author covers it well.

http://www.valueinvestorsclub.com/idea/Tetragon_Financial/125503

• 1 month later...