Best shareholder meetings and investor conferences

tede02

I've attended the Berkshire annual meeting since 2007 which I've enjoyed.  For those of you who had the pleasure to attend other great shareholders meetings and investment conferences (such as Fairfax, Markel, Pabrai, Wesco, Daily Journal, Value Investors Conference, etc.), which do you like the most and why?

If you want a good shareholder meeting I'd recommend you exit the echo chamber and attend the meeting of a smaller local company.  Buy a few shares of some local companies and begin to attend.  In most cases that will be the best business education you can learn about a given industry in an hour or two.  Much better than the platitudes that will be posted and regurgitated on the board for months.

the best shareholder meeting I've attended was at CASA "Mexican Restaurants".  It was held at a large conference room table...

I got an invitation to lunch by the CEO.

I also got a very high end bottle of tequila that was given to the company as a sample by a liquor sales rep.

Nice meeting!

If you want a good shareholder meeting I'd recommend you exit the echo chamber and attend the meeting of a smaller local company.  Buy a few shares of some local companies and begin to attend.  In most cases that will be the best business education you can learn about a given industry in an hour or two.  Much better than the platitudes that will be posted and regurgitated on the board for months.

Thanks for the idea.  I did a quick google search and there are some local shareholder meetings.  I plan to buy a few shares and attend.  It should be an interesting and fun experience.  :)

Funny that this topic came up.  I was just about to post the question: Given the choice which is the best meeting to attend Fairfax or BH Berkshire Hathaway?  I won't be able to do both this year. (True confessions, I have not been to either, but Wesco and Daily Journal) There is the factor of Munger and Buffett's advanced ages to weigh

Funny that this topic came up.  I was just about to post the question: Given the choice which is the best meeting to attend Fairfax or BH? 

BH? Biglari Holdings? Definitely.  8)

Just kidding. I think you meant Berkshire.

Personally, every year I think whether I should go to Buffettfest and I never go. I think I'd be bored by talking heads and I hate crowds. Shoulda/coulda gone to DJCO/WSC when it was easier/closer by.

I looked at the http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/fairfax-financial/10th-annual-cmc-fairfax-financial-shareholder%27s-dinner/  Looks somewhat attractive, but the same thing: I wonder if I'll be totally bored there :) I tried asking people I know from SiliconInvestor if they would be interested to go together. No replies. So probably I won't go. :)

Guest Schwab711

It's a lot of fun and (usually) a lot more intimate of a setting. You'll see/learn some unique things (CEOs proving customer response time, ect) and it's usually really easy to get questions answered. I actually took this advice from Oddball when he posted about it previously on his blog. Just don't fall in love with these local companies or grow some attachment to it. There is definitely an advantage to investing at arm's length without proper temperament.

• 3 years later...

I'm considering going out to the Sitestar meeting this year. I would like to find other similar meetings worth attending. For instance, ALJJ is one on my list.

Does anyone else know of small companies run by investor-managers worth going to?

I agree with Oddballstocks that smaller companies shareholder meetings are much more rewarding. in these meetings, Managers often will engage talking with shareholders and make off the cuff remarks that can be quite enlightening. one also get a real impression on how management thinks.

You also got to meet other investors and learn how they think of the fact that they own this stock alone may be telling.

I agree with Oddballstocks that smaller companies shareholder meetings are much more rewarding. in these meetings, Managers often will engage talking with shareholders and make off the cuff remarks that can be quite enlightening. one also get a real impression on how management thinks.

You also got to meet other investors and learn how they think of the fact that they own this stock alone may be telling.

I can't agree with this ENOUGH!!!

I've attended some meetings of "nano" cap auto parts supplier(s) near/around Detroit.

They are shocked that an outside shareholder bothered to show up.

After going through formalities & the annual vote, I got to ask questions of the CEO, top level management AND the Board Of Directors.  They answered my questions and we had a conversation for almost 2 hours!  This has happened more than 1 time. 

I learned a lot about the company, their plans & strategy, history, and information on the industry and competitors. If I can do it, I suspect other members on this board can also.

If you can do this, you will get up to speed fast.

They also had a really nice spread(s) of food, so I got a free meal(s) too!