New Year's Resolutions

Kraven

With the New Year almost upon us I was wondering what everyone's new year's resolutions are.  If you don't have any, here are some suggestions.  Feel free to add some of your own.

1.  Try to quote someone other than Buffett or Munger.  There is a whole world of great investors out there. 

2.  Stop referring to well known investors by just their first name.  For example, Warren, Charlie, Mohnish, Prem, etc.  The exception is if you know them personally.

3.  When referring to an event or situation that could potentially be negative or volatile, do not add that you will be happy to just sit back with your popcorn and watch. 

4.  Do not add descriptions of personal actions to your post along the lines of *slaps forehead* or *shrugs*.

5.  Try to break the 500 page per day barrier in reading.  Everyone is doing the 500 pages these days.  See if you can get it up to 550 pages or even 600 pages.

These are just a handful off the top of my head.  Hopefully they can be of some help to someone.

Guest longinvestor

To refrain from suggesting resolution ideas for anyone else. Not even my kids. It has never worked for me. Also read once that it didn't work for Ben Franklin either. He was the father of resolutions

With the New Year almost upon us I was wondering what everyone's new year's resolutions are.  If you don't have any, here are some suggestions.  Feel free to add some of your own.

1.  Try to quote someone other than Buffett or Munger.  There is a whole world of great investors out there. 

2.  Stop referring to well known investors by just their first name.  For example, Warren, Charlie, Mohnish, Prem, etc.  The exception is if you know them personally.

3.  When referring to an event or situation that could potentially be negative or volatile, do not add that you will be happy to just sit back with your popcorn and watch. 

4.  Do not add descriptions of personal actions to your post along the lines of *slaps forehead* or *shrugs*.

5.  Try to break the 500 page per day barrier in reading.  Everyone is doing the 500 pages these days.  See if you can get it up to 550 pages or even 600 pages.

These are just a handful off the top of my head.  Hopefully they can be of some help to someone.

Maybe it's my faulty memory, but do I correctly recall you also dislike emoticons?

I'm morally opposed to the use of emoticons.  For example, whenever I try to post a negative string of numbers that ends in "8" using the format with parentheses, as in (0.7) for negative 7/10th, I get this annoying guy (0.8).

Maybe  trying to ban the use of emoticons is as quixotic as Munger wanting to ban derivatives, but here goes:

"6. Only Giofranchi is allowed to use emoticons."

(I think this is reasonable, since we cannot see Gio's hands and arms while he is making his emphatic points.  Perhaps Sanjeev can find some emoticons that are based on hand/arm gestures, including the gesto dell'ombrello.)

Maybe it's my faulty memory, but do I correctly recall you also dislike emoticons?

I'm morally opposed to the use of emoticons.  For example, whenever I try to post a negative string of numbers that ends in "8" using the format with parentheses, as in (0.7) for negative 7/10th, I get this annoying guy (0.8).

Maybe  trying to ban the use of emoticons is as quixotic as Munger wanting to ban derivatives, but here goes:

(I think this is reasonable, since we cannot see Gio's hands and arms while he is making his emphatic points.  Perhaps Sanjeev can find some emoticons that are based on hand/arm gestures, including the gesto dell'ombrello.)

:-X Your memory is quite fine  ;), lol, fyi Kraven hates emoticons...Dont know why

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-\ :-*

:-X Your memory is quite fine  ;), lol, fyi Kraven hates emoticons...Dont know why

Emoticons should be subject to the 20 punchcard. If they were, people would think long and hard before using up one of their allotted emoticons.

Emoticons should be subject to the 20 punchcard. If they were, people would think long and hard before using up one of their allotted emoticons.

yeah that is what warren said about stocks.  ::) ::)

You've brought this up again and again over the years. I'm now genuinely curious why you seem to be bothered by them so much. I can understand someone not liking them and not using them, but I don't get why someone would be riled up enough to periodically lobby for others to stop using them.

The only reasons I can think of are of the "damn kids, get off my lawn" variety, or "things weren't like this in my day and I don't like change, so if I don't like it nobody should like it, like kids and their damn rap music and snapchat", or maybe some form of snobbism, because what kind of discourse could possibly be elevated by cartoonish pictures, right?.

It's short-hand. They prevents all kinds of misunderstandings that happen all the time with text-based communication (without tone of voice, body language, comedic timing, etc). Everybody except a few face-blind people immediately understand how they modify a statement, and since few of us are Hemingway types who will be consistently great at perfectly writing out the nuances of what we mean, they are a very useful tool and safety net. They also encourage economy, because you can get the same thing across with fewer words (imagine how much longer my crap would be!).

So basically, this:

You suck Kraven ;) :D

Is very different from

You suck Kraven  >:(

or

You suck Kraven  :-[ :-\

So what's the deal? Did a smiley kill your parents when you were but a boy?  ???

yeah that is what warren said about stocks.  ::) ::)

As an aside, what Warren actually said is that if someone had a punchcard and could only do 20 stocks, they'd almost certainly get better results, because it would make them research them like crazy and really understand what they own and think long-term and trade less for no good reason.

People often take away the wrong thing from what Warren says. Here everybody remembers the 20 slot punch card, while the actual message was "You have to know really really well what you buy and think about it long-term and not trade around too much". 20 is just a number to make a point. Some people might be able to understand hundreds of things, others 5, that's not the point. It's the process behind the metaphor that matters.

So basically, this:

You suck Kraven ;) :D

Is very different from

You suck Kraven  >:(

or

You suck Kraven  :-[ :-\

So what's the deal? Did a smiley kill your parents when you were but a boy?  ???

Can we stop this please?  Kraven has helped a lot of people on this board, myself included, and I'd prefer not to lose his input due to some stupid flamewar.  If you disagree with his thoughts, be a good person and disagree with them inside your head, and then move on.  You don't have to add fuel to any fires just because they're there.  In fact, it's pretty amazing how fast threads, good or otherwise, die down on this board when no one is actively replying to them.