Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End - Atul Gawande

RhubarbXIV

[amazonsearch]Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End[/amazonsearch]

I just got this book from Mohnish as a year-end gift (classy guy!). If it's Mohnish's book of the year, I figured that would be an important endorsement for the board.

I'm interested in the topic (it was already in my Amazon wishlist), so I'll try to report back once I've gotten to it. But it's both book season and holiday season now, so I have the most new stuff to read and the least time in which to read.

Just thought the board might want to know.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[amazonsearch]Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End[/amazonsearch]

I just got this book from Mohnish as a year-end gift (classy guy!). If it's Mohnish's book of the year, I figured that would be an important endorsement for the board.

I'm interested in the topic (it was already in my Amazon wishlist), so I'll try to report back once I've gotten to it. But it's both book season and holiday season now, so I have the most new stuff to read and the least time in which to read.

Just thought the board might want to know.

Just curious, how do you know Mohnish, or what's your relationship with him? :)

• 4 years later...

As with all Dr. Gawande writes, the text is full of insights and offers the raw material with which you can make your own opinion.

We all live unique stories and the ending is terribly important. The author candidly explains how technology paradoxically has resulted in a major failure on how to deal with inevitable death for many individuals.

Interesting book for those interested in end-of-life care and a simple take-away may be to formalize your advance directives.

The book also contains data, historical facts and goes through interesting concepts such as the "rectangularization" of life expectancy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest longinvestor

Just finished it, excellent communicator through storytelling. There’s something to be said about the way he threads the commonality between his role of a son respecting his father’s wishes and that of a doctor with his soon-to-die patients. Dr AG makes it obvious that the usurping of individual dignity during the last days of a person’s life is at most about a fifty year problem in the US.

Yes, advanced directives pronto is my conclusion as well.

Great to give Dr AG a playground called Haven. Couldn’t have a better person in charge. It’ll be interesting. His coming “books “ will be written in the health lives of the million employees and their families!

• 5 months later...