Republic Wireless: Super Cheap Cell Phone/Data Service

LongHaul

Republic Wireless:  Super Cheap Cell Phone/Data Service

This is a private company and not super well known, but I think members could save a boatload of money.  Plus the business model is interesting.  I have zero affiliation with the company.

I just switched to Republic Wireless ~2 months ago and so far love it. 

Cost for my unlimited talk and text plus wifi only data is $12.30 per month including all taxes and fees.  3G plans are $25 plus taxes. I had to buy a Moto G phone for ~$150.  I can cancel anytime.  Main downside is limited phones and they use the Sprint network.

I am saving ~$500 per year by going with them for 3 phones.

I find it fascinating how they charge so much less.  From what I gather here is their business model.

1.  No stores,

2.  Minimal customer service, it is mostly self service thru the web. 

3.  Minimal advertising.

4.  Simplicity.

5.  Wifi calling/data when available.

6.  They rent Sprint's network.

7.  Basically they are a low cost operator and pass the savings on.

This probably sounds like an ad but I can't recommend it enough.  Worst case you try it you get 30 days to send your phone back.  I ordered the phone, tried it with an random phone number then switched my main # a few weeks later.

https://republicwireless.com/info/plans/

I used to have a corporate cell plan, but when I left to go out on my own, I had to get my own plan and went with Republic.  It so far has been outstanding.  I'm on the 3G only plan with a Moto G phone.  I pay $27/mo after all taxes.  Great deal.

Note, they actually let you track your data usage and the community of RW encourages smart data usage... so even though I have a ton of data that I could use, I find myself being more thoughtful to save the company money because I believe that does (in various ways) accrue back to me as a user.

One other drawback I have to call out, their MMS support is 95% there, but sometimes not perfect.  I have had a few MMS messages not work in some scenarios (I think this has to do with their 3G to wifi handoffs).

Other than that, I'm a happy customer.  $27 for essentially unlimited 3G, or $43 for 4G is just too cheap.  Their roaming off sprint is super limited, but for most areas I haven't had any issues.

Long way of saying, I second your recommendation!

Ben

Thanks for the information guys.

How's the cell phone reception and coverage?

I am in the market, looking to change the phone  to new one which is compatible for WHats App and texting, currently have voice only plan for $15/month nothing beats that. Other cell phone plan I checked are north of $45/month, so yeah this seems good value to me.

Thanks

I use H2O wireless prepaid plan. 0.05 dollar per minute talking and per text. 4G data is 0.25 per MB. I usually turn of data and use home and office wifi. My bill is like $6 per month when I am not travelling and $15-20 when I travel and use a lot of data.

You can buy their SIM card from Amazon for 0.01 cent.

You need to have either an unlocked iPhone or an AT&T locked iPhone, as they use AT&T network. 

You need to use your mobile browser to go to http://unlockit.co.nz/ to install the H2O APN to enable 4G data.

Buying the H2O prepaid cards from callingMart gives you an extra discount.

I've been using it for more than one year and I like this plan so far.

I use Republic and the value is way better than VZ (my old carrier). However, on occasion, there is a bit of a delay when I'm talking to someone else. . I also noticed that calls drop a bit more. Nothing major though. To be fair to them, Sprint coverage is decent in my area but there not as good as VZ's. I'd recommend Republic if one has decent Sprint coverage.

I think Sprint's cell network is inferior to Verizon and ATT.  Maybe 99% of the time with ATT was great reception - with Republic/Sprint more like 97-98% so it is not that big of a deal for me.  Coverage is very local though so depends on you area.

Good stuff.  Thanks for the information.  Does anyone have a good solution for international calling plans for trips from the US?  AT&T had a fairly good add-on plan two or three years ago, but when we traveled to Canada for the recent Thansgiving holiday, I was underwhelmed with pricing and the performance.  When we've traveled to Europe for longer trips, we've used cell-service-only rentals, which is ok but not cheap and doesn't cover our smart phones.  As Wi-Fi becomes more freely available, it is getting to be less of an issue, but I kept thinking that there must be a better way.

Good stuff.  Thanks for the information.  Does anyone have a good solution for international calling plans for trips from the US?  AT&T had a fairly good add-on plan two or three years ago, but when we traveled to Canada for the recent Thansgiving holiday, I was underwhelmed with pricing and the performance.  When we've traveled to Europe for longer trips, we've used cell-service-only rentals, which is ok but not cheap and doesn't cover our smart phones.  As Wi-Fi becomes more freely available, it is getting to be less of an issue, but I kept thinking that there must be a better way.

I’ve always picked up local SIM cards when travelling. There’s a good chance if you’re a long term customer your carrier will unlock your phone for you.

• 2 months later...
Guest longinvestor

I've used Skype, the paid variety on overseas trips. You get a 10 digit US number for 50 bucks a year, use that to make and receive calls abroad. You need to be online though.

• 2 months later...

Piggy backing off the thread that talks about cutting cable----I am really thinking about moving to Republic.  I understand it may not be the best but with the price so low the value seems great.  We have two plans and figure that we'll have our money back in 6 months (cost of phones $150*2) and everything after that is gravy. 

Wife and I both have Republic. She with unlimited 3G data, calls, text. Me with just calls, text since I have a work phone too.  Problem is the hand off from calls going from Wifi to cell or vice versa. My wife needs to finish a call at home before getting into her car, otherwise as soon as she starts driving away the call drops.

Sprint is okay but I was really rooting for a tie up with TMobile.

I looked at Google Fi. The rates are good and I like the international coverage (this comes from Tmobile - that's why I currently have Tmobile). The only issue right now is that Fi only supports Nexus 6 which is $649/699, which is too expensive IMHO.