I am thankful for...

SmallCap

Ok so I know it's cliche but somethings are still really worth it and taking a time to be grateful is one of them.

I know and respect so many of you on this board and I so enjoy our common pursuit of finding dollars for 50 cents. But we don't have many times when we just share a little bit of what we are grateful for.

So please chime in on the things in life you are grateful for.

I'm thankful to have had the luck to exist in the first place (what are the odds?), and to have been born in a relatively rich and free corner of the Earth (low odds too - maybe I'd enjoy life less, and have fewer opportunities to develop my potential, if I had been born, say, a female in Afghanistan...)).

here are some pictures of what I am grateful for, sometimes a picture is worth a lot of words.

and for good measure here is an incredibly cute(yes i'm biased, so sue me) video of my 4 year old girl reading to my 2 year old.

I have much to be grateful for.

Also I would be grateful if someone would tell me how to include the images in the message instead of as attachments:)

Getz_Family_by_the_waterfall.jpg.aa10b01dc7dfb1cce7b13fe6b230be98.jpg

Marie_and_Claire.thumb.jpg.ef059395cd38de7eddbcb23ad0494a3d.jpg

Seths_Birthday.thumb.jpg.df4a5e497458e2d176647f754f86157b.jpg

Beautiful family :)

here are some pictures of what I am grateful for, sometimes a picture is worth a lot of words.

and for good measure here is an incredibly cute(yes i'm biased, so sue me) video of my 4 year old girl reading to my 2 year old.

I have much to be grateful for.

Also I would be grateful if someone would tell me how to include the images in the message instead of as attachments:)

The easiest way is to use a free image hosting site like http://imgur.com  an just copy/paste the BBC Code that they give you here, or to use the "insert image" button right above the first smiley to put the bracketed BBCode around the image URL.

I'm thankful to have had the luck to exist in the first place (what are the odds?), and to have been born in a relatively rich and free corner of the Earth (low odds too - maybe I'd enjoy life less, and have fewer opportunities to develop my potential, if I had been born, say, a female in Afghanistan...)).

It wasn't luck. ;)

I'm thankful for my family, friends and my amazing girlfriend (who, hopefully, will be my wife one of these days) and my good health. 

I'm also thankful for the CoBF members and all the work that Sanj does for us, too.

I'm thankful that I stumbled across Berkshire Hathaway's new website in 1998 and read that year's Letter to Shareholders.  I was lost in the darkness of my father's death and that letter was the light I needed to find my way!

Almost every good thing that has happened to me since...from my family life, friends I've made, Corner Market Capital, Corner of Berkshire & Fairfax, non-profit work, Premier Diagnostics, you name it...was because of that one event. 

Buffett once said that "Ben Graham was like a God to him."  Mine live in Omaha and Toronto!  A Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Cheers!

Guest longinvestor

I'm thankful that I stumbled across Berkshire Hathaway's new website in 1998 and read that year's Letter to Shareholders.  I was lost in the darkness of my father's death and that letter was the light I needed to find my way!

Almost every good thing that has happened to me since...from my family life, friends I've made, Corner Market Capital, Corner of Berkshire & Fairfax, non-profit work, Premier Diagnostics, you name it...was because of that one event. 

Buffett once said that "Ben Graham was like a God to him."  Mine live in Omaha and Toronto!  A Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Cheers!

Great to see credit given to a single event like this!

We lost a lot of money in the dotcom crash, courtesy a fee-paid FA. It was clear to me that he(like most others) was short term oriented, followed the herd etc. This led me to long term, against-the-heard thinking etc. I'm grateful that the money lost has been more than recovered. But really this has not been about the money alone, the priceless learning opportunities that came with it have been life changing. Truly grateful for that. Have followed some of the people on this board (& preceding) from the dark days at Fairfax. Berkshire meetings has started to become a ritual etc. Couldn't have imagined it 10-15 years ago, I'm actually sharing these lessons (mistakes) with friends.

Lot to be grateful for.

My family who have always been by my side, my friends who make life more enjoyable in conversation and antics! Being blessed with a clear mind, body, and soul. Living in the land of the free where truly anything is possible with hard work and persistance. Having the ability to love others even in the recent occurance of a terrible breakup with the gf!

Hmm.  This is an interesting one for someone battling a relapse into depression!  I'm grateful for fantastic parents and the continued support of the one who is still here; for great friends; for the opportunities I have had to see amazing parts of the world (Jordan and South Africa especially); for COBF, which I find fascinating; and for the future.

Thanksgiving Day is by far my favorite holiday, more so than even Christmas.

Today is also the 225th anniversary of President George Washington's proclamation establishing the day in the U.S.  Note these words:  "Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God . . . Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States . . ."

Although a few other countries celebrate on a different day, there's no reason all our international friends on the CoBF board should not celebrate with us, at least according to Washington.  And those classy non-Americans (Parsad, Liberty, augustabound, petec, and Giofranchi), have already taken the lead!

Thanks to all for contributing on this board!

Hmm.  This is an interesting one for someone battling a relapse into depression!  I'm grateful for fantastic parents and the continued support of the one who is still here; for great friends; for the opportunities I have had to see amazing parts of the world (Jordan and South Africa especially); for COBF, which I find fascinating; and for the future.

Hi Petec,

I hope surrounding yourself with your friends on here provides some measure of support!  There are a lot of us here.

All the best,

Sanjeev

I am grateful for my family, friends and my wonderful girlfriend. I am also grateful for the ability to travel. I'm in the US for a few weeks and spending this thanksgiving day in San Francisco. Great to be back in the States. Happy thanksgiving everyone!

Sunday, I fell on a halfpipe and dislocated my right thumb while tearing a ligament off the bone. I'm grateful that I underwent surgery without feeling the knife.  Imagine the horrors of surgery without anesthetics.

I just saw an episode of Pawn Stars where a girl thought she had a finger saw from the Civil War.

Their local historian said it wasn't but proceeded to tell the story of the finger saw and how it was used.

I had achilles tendon surgery this summer and thought the same as you.

I'm also thankful for Tylenol 3's.  :P

Sunday, I fell on a halfpipe and dislocated my right thumb while tearing a ligament off the bone. I'm grateful that I underwent surgery without feeling the knife.  Imagine the horrors of surgery without anesthetics.

There is so much wrong with my mental picture of this:

1) If my math is correct you are over 40.  What are you going to do next - a few lines of coke and fall out of a tree.

2) Two legs = two skis (Not One).

3) Independent wealth is apparently bad for ones health.  That Rhymes BTW. 

I last snowboarded when I was around 35.  I was sore for two weeks from doing face plants from 8 feet (5 feet plus 3 feet of hill).  Still ski though.  Beat my nephew on a straight downhill speed race last year. 

Happy Thanksgiving!  To all!