Easy Home Brew

cobafdek

Nice, have a gallon of hard cider that just finished fermenting this week.  Did something similar, gallon jug of apple juice (no preservatives, no additives, just apple) from Whole Foods, cider yeast, dissolved brown sugar (to increase alcohol content) and an airlock does the trick.

I'd encourage cider yeast over champagne yeast.  With champagne yeast you don't taste much of the original apple flavor, cider yeast preserves some of that.  Keep in mind natural hard cider is very dry, if you want it sweet you need to add an artificial sweetener.

I prefer to bottle rather than drink flat.  Bottling is simple, dissolve a bit of sugar in water then siphon the cider into the dissolved solution.  Then siphon the solution into bottles, cap and you're done.

I'll be bottling the cider this weekend with a friend.  Have a pumpkin beer I'm planning on bottling tonight.  The brewing process is fun and relaxing.  I can brew and not think about anything else, a nice change of pace.  There's the challenge to doing something that you need to wait a month to see the results as well.

I'll be bottling the cider this weekend with a friend.  Have a pumpkin beer I'm planning on bottling tonight.  The brewing process is fun and relaxing.  I can brew and not think about anything else, a nice change of pace.  There's the challenge to doing something that you need to wait a month to see the results as well.

I have a pumpkin beer fermenting as well, did you actually put pumpkin in there? I just took a red ale and added about 1 teaspoon of spices. This is my first try with pumpkin beer.

BeerBaron

I have a pumpkin beer fermenting as well, did you actually put pumpkin in there? I just took a red ale and added about 1 teaspoon of spices. This is my first try with pumpkin beer.

BeerBaron

Just bottled last night. When I bottle I have a shot glass of flat beer to taste how things are moving along.  I have to say this pumpkin might be the best I've done.

I roasted a sweet pumpkin and added about half of it to the mash.  Then I added the other half to the boil.  I boiled a cinnamon stick and tossed in a very small amount of nutmeg too.  Pumpkin has a very subtle flavor, but it helps balance the spices.