Routines and Orgies: The Life of Peter Cundill

indythinker85

• 1 month later...

I looked forward to this book very much.  After about 100 pages or so I have put it to the side.  It's not often that I wish I hadn't started a book, but this one fits in that category.  It's not that it isn't well written - it is.  It's that I find the more I learn about Cundill, the less I wish I knew.  The books falls into the category of too much information. 

There's his angst.  His angst about women, dating, relationships, marriage, etc.  His angst about angst.  His dabbling in bad poetry.  His observations on art.  There's very little about his career or investing here (there is some, but not that much).  After reading There's Always Something to Do I really liked him.  After reading part of this book I can't stand him.  I've never seen someone theoretically traveling on business, but really on vacation more.  All I could think about was where did the funds come from.  He ran a tiny little fund (to start) into which he put his savings.  Yet, he would be gone for weeks on end all over the world.  All the time.  Between his manic exercise, his skiing, hunting, non stop randiness, etc I have no idea how he got any work done.

The stuff about women is the worst.  Every story has the evening ending in "romance".  Picture a slightly more sophisticated Benny Hill running around chasing women.  He's the kind of guy who would have winked and told his buddies it's "skirt chasing" time.

Other than that, it's pretty good.

• 2 years later...
I looked forward to this book very much.  After about 100 pages or so I have put it to the side.  It's not often that I wish I hadn't started a book, but this one fits in that category.  It's not that it isn't well written - it is.  It's that I find the more I learn about Cundill, the less I wish I knew.  The books falls into the category of too much information. 

There's his angst.  His angst about women, dating, relationships, marriage, etc.  His angst about angst.  His dabbling in bad poetry.  His observations on art.  There's very little about his career or investing here (there is some, but not that much).  After reading There's Always Something to Do I really liked him.  After reading part of this book I can't stand him.  I've never seen someone theoretically traveling on business, but really on vacation more.  All I could think about was where did the funds come from.  He ran a tiny little fund (to start) into which he put his savings.  Yet, he would be gone for weeks on end all over the world.  All the time.  Between his manic exercise, his skiing, hunting, non stop randiness, etc I have no idea how he got any work done.

The stuff about women is the worst.  Every story has the evening ending in "romance".  Picture a slightly more sophisticated Benny Hill running around chasing women.  He's the kind of guy who would have winked and told his buddies it's "skirt chasing" time.

Other than that, it's pretty good.

You sold me. I'm definitely getting this book.

I've never seen someone theoretically traveling on business, but really on vacation more.  All I could think about was where did the funds come from.  He ran a tiny little fund (to start) into which he put his savings.  Yet, he would be gone for weeks on end all over the world.  All the time. 

This probably applies to most people in the fund management business. Especially during the decades covered in the book.