company eco-system views - where do people get it?

bakernanduru

i am a newbie to stock investing. i have been doing some investment research and i am trying to do an eco system view (suppliers, customers, major competitors) to get a better view of the company business and eco-systems. where do people go to get an eco-system view? i don't get this information on yahoo finance or market research reports. thanks in advance.

I would start by doing some research on the company and its industry.  You would want to use the internet, the telephone and your eyes depending on the industry.  Sometimes suppliers can be harder to track down - check the filings for risk factors on supplier concentration to see if they disclose any names or percentages.  Otherwise it's gonna take scuttlebutt.  (if this word means nothing to you, read a bit of Philip Fisher and maybe some Peter Lynch)

If sites like Yahoo can't even get simple things like share counts / market caps correct (and they virtually never do), they certainly aren't much use for anything more involved than that.  Most of those websites, Bloomberg excepted, don't even attempt a Market Cap any more.  It was too advanced for them...

thanks for that. i see that most of the information is already available in 10k/Qs, why can't people make it available for beginners like us to readily access it. is it something that investors should even look at but just don't do it as it is readily not available.