Critique my Portfolio

Laxputs

I'm really trying to get better at this. I'm doing things very differently than I was 6 months ago. Learning lots from the threads on here and some of the members that have been helping me by responding to some PM's. I have no plans to stop harassing you anytime soon.

If you see something you don't like in my portfolio, mention it (be it an allocation or diversity issue, or a weakness in one of the companies). If it's related to one of the companies, I may re-post that comment in the actual thread pertaining to that specific company.

Future Bright

Texhong

Keckseng

Macro Enterprises

Enterprise Group

Emeco

Alliance Health Care Services

17% cash

It'd be helpful if you could provide tickers. I honestly haven't heard of any of those companies, which I think is a good sign.

I think a bunch of them have been discussed on this forum. I used to own Emeco, but think that more or less everything that I have to say has been said in the Emeco thread on this forum and my blog.

What is not to like about his ideas? I tried to crack his idea's, but most of his idea's are some of the cheapest stocks that seem to offer very high risk adjusted returns if you analyze them closely. If you are rational you have to at least steal some of his idea's unless you know stocks that offer a even better risk/reward ratio with similar or more upside?

I think there is a bias that prevents you from copying too many of anyone's ideas. I think that is mostly irrational. So let's say you steal 2 idea's from a certain good investor, y ou get this urge to look elsewhere. It is like a false sense of diversifying. But if you run his idea's by a check list you see they are almost all high quality. In the end the quality of an idea is determined by how many boxes it ticks off in a list of what makes a good investment. Not by who or what website wrote it up.

My portfolio definitely has a huge influence from the Red Corner. I don't have all of his ideas though. And AIQ, Emeco, Enterprise, Macro, were all discussed thoroughly here.  I first heard of AIQ, and Emeco from Packer.

My response would echo Yada as to why it's similar to Red Corner's. I can't find higher upside and lower downside than his ideas. I try to poke holes in them and look at all the ideas posted there very critically but end up buying into most of them.

What I'm doing differently now versus 6 months ago:

1.Asking for higher returns from a purchase. At least 25% / year. It used to be 10%.

2.Focusing on smaller, often more illiquid stocks.

3.I'm now going global, versus N.A. listed.

4.I do much more extensive analysis and participate in this forum.

5.I hold 8 positions instead of 6.

6.I source ideas more broadly, follow more blogs, read more posts.

We can discuss Future Bright more in-depthly in its own thread.

Thanks for the responses.

What is not to like about his ideas? I tried to crack his idea's, but most of his idea's are some of the cheapest stocks that seem to offer very high risk adjusted returns if you analyze them closely. If you are rational you have to at least steal some of his idea's unless you know stocks that offer a even better risk/reward ratio with similar or more upside?

I think there is a bias that prevents you from copying too many of anyone's ideas. I think that is mostly irrational. So let's say you steal 2 idea's from a certain good investor, y ou get this urge to look elsewhere. It is like a false sense of diversifying. But if you run his idea's by a check list you see they are almost all high quality. In the end the quality of an idea is determined by how many boxes it ticks off in a list of what makes a good investment. Not by who or what website wrote it up.

I have a few friends who when they mention a stock I do a very cursory look then buy a position.  They are very good at what they do, and recommendations don't come lightly.  There is no shame in copying other ideas.