The next great capital allocator

frog03

There was Singleton.  There is Buffett, C&S, Watsa.

Who is on your radar screen to be the next great one?  Should have both a superior and long-enough track record and be well below 50.  Can't think of one.  Can you?

I submit the next candidate will be relatively unknown until he is famous - at that point it will be too late to get in on the ground floor.

Guest kawikaho

He is somewhat audited, although, he's a day trader.  Not my cup of tea.  Who is this Calistri gal?  Are you guys being sarcastic? 

He is somewhat audited, although, he's a day trader.  Not my cup of tea.  Who is this Calistri gal?  Are you guys being sarcastic? 

Sorry, my humor can be quite dry sometimes

I believe the kid (whom is really annoying) made a small fortune in the markets through sheer luck, and then lost it all shortly thereafter. I think CNBC even once touted him as the next so and so one day, back when he was on his lucky streak. Ahh, the media.

As for Calistri...I second John's remarks. Let's keep her picks under wraps. :D

Guest kawikaho

Sorry, my humor can be quite dry sometimes

I believe the kid (whom is really annoying) made a small fortune in the markets through sheer luck, and then lost it all shortly thereafter. I think CNBC even once touted him as the next so and so one day, back when he was on his lucky streak. Ahh, the media.

As for Calistri...I second John's remarks. Let's keep her picks under wraps. :D

You guys are piquing my interests on this Calistri gal.  Haha, anyone care to share why she seems to be the butt of the jokes here?

I submit the next candidate will be relatively unknown until he is famous - at that point it will be too late to get in on the ground floor.

It is almost always too late to get in on the ground floor, but to continue the metaphor, if he or she is obviously a great builder because you can see a that the first and second floors look great; you invest.  Before BRK you had 20 years of proof about Buffett.  Microsoft had proven itself as had Walmart.  (The last two were not capital allocators per se, but were great businessmen in great businesses.)

To paraphrase Drucker and Munger--look out the window not to predict the future but see what is already there!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay anyone ever heard of Artin Afsharjavan?

http://www.youngentrepreneur.com/blog/2008/02/entrepreneur-profile-artin-afsharjavan/

He's popped up as being part of an investment group trying to buy into Trump Entertainment.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090930006173&newsLang=en

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jqpan9BpVIiuJ3MgnAD2buXKJqGAD9B1TO800

Could be a lot of hot air.  Who knows?

I think he's full of shit!  I've tried to view their website, but it seems like it's half-finished and partly still under construction.  When I tried to log-in to their client site, it wouldn't even let me attempt to enter any sort of username/password.  It goes straight to "password" on a new page. 

I've tried to find stuff on this guy, and all I can find is the same articles and stories from when he was 19, that he sold his businesses to some company called "Javan Capital" for $6M, and he was starting a new company dealing with diamonds.  No EDGAR filings for Artin, Javan Capital or New Century Investments...nothing.  You would think he would have gone after some small company at some point, thus probably would have had to file a 13-D.  Then all the other articles and press releases available are around this Trump offer.  Trump's representative only said that they aren't sure that New Century can back their offer. 

His LinkedIn profile says he was CEO at Continental Alliance Corp.  At EDGAR, Continental stopped filing in 1999.  If he's 21 now, then he was filing his 10-Q's and 10-K's when he was 11 years old...at the latest...the earliest filings go back to 1997, so he started when he was eight years old.  Javan Capital Partners website is under construction, yet he sold his businesses to them for $6M last year.  I don't know who this Persian is but he ain't no Biglari.  Any journalist writing about him should spend the same ten minutes I did and do some due diligence!  Cheers! 

I decided to spend another ten minutes on this and see what I could come up with.  Apparently, one of Artin's first deals at Javan was to buy a company called "The Countertop Company" where financial terms were not disclosed, and they had multiple locations around Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina.  He had this to say about the deal back then:

"In the current economy, realizing solid returns on investment from the capital markets is tough," said Afsharjavan in a statement. "But, there are still great opportunities for long-term gains through direct investment in small companies with strong business models that offer growth potential."

I found the company website and called a few of the stores:

- The first one in Alexandria had some poor old Italian lady answer and she had no friggin' idea what I was talking about

- The second location in Richmond is closed "due to the poor economic environment".

- The third in Rockville had no answer or voicemail.

- The fourth in Charlotte was disconnected.

Somebody should write an article asking him to back up anything written about him!  Cheers!

You know what's crazy?  This dipshit puts out these phony press releases and gets these articles written, and then probably manages to raise millions in investment capital.  But here we are, kicking the market's ass for four years during the worst economic slump in decades, and we can barely raise a dime.  Amazing!  Cheers!