Robin Williams Passed Away

Parsad

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His publicist made a statement saying he's been battling depression.  :(

Nanoo nanoo big fella.........

Very sad. Nanoo nanoo indeed. I remember as a kid there was the original must see tv with Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, etc. He was only 63. RIP.

In 1976 a buddy and I went on a road trip across the US to Los Angeles.  During our stay we hit the Comedy

Store and were fortunate enough to catch Robin Williams first shows at the venue. I never laughed so hard in my life

and I remember talking to him after the show.Very personable. I have followed closely his career since then.His rise

amongst the comedic circle in L.A. was meteoric after his first shows and the rest as they say his history. He was one funny guy . Saddened to hear of his passing.

If, like me, you are thinking at this moment, "what chance at long-term happiness have I got if someone as funny and successful as Robin Williams can't deal with life on this mortal coil?"...then please know this: if clinical depression was some sort of box you could fuck, work, snort, party, think, or even wish yourself out of, then no one would ever commit suicide. But it isn't like that at all. Depression is a disease. Robin Williams was also unlucky enough to also be an addict, and suffered from severe depression his whole life - we are lucky we had him as long as we did.

In 1976 a buddy and I went on a road trip across the US to Los Angeles.  During our stay we hit the Comedy

Store and were fortunate enough to catch Robin Williams first shows at the venue. I never laughed so hard in my life

and I remember talking to him after the show.Very personable. I have followed closely his career since then.His rise

amongst the comedic circle in L.A. was meteoric after his first shows and the rest as they say his history. He was one funny guy . Saddened to hear of his passing.

He was amazing, especially when he was younger.  He could make the best improv personalities look stale with the sheer speed his mind worked at.  Not only was he quick with his wit, the stuff was wickedly funny.  Even as he got older, and the jokes springing modestly slower from his lips, his mind worked faster than pretty much any other comedian.  The only one that comes close, but who's humour is far more juvenile, is perhaps Jim Carrey, who equally suffers from the voices at the back of his cranium. 

If, like me, you are thinking at this moment, "what chance at long-term happiness have I got if someone as funny and successful as Robin Williams can't deal with life on this mortal coil?"...then please know this: if clinical depression was some sort of box you could fuck, work, snort, party, think, or even wish yourself out of, then no one would ever commit suicide. But it isn't like that at all. Depression is a disease. Robin Williams was also unlucky enough to also be an addict, and suffered from severe depression his whole life - we are lucky we had him as long as we did.

+1

GooooooooooooooooooooooodmorningVietnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam :)

RIP

http://i.imgur.com/qPV0WcU.gif

Extremely sad news.

Depression is a very real and quite terrible thing that eats away at many lives and often times without friends and family even knowing.

Always lend an ear to those you think are suffering quietly and encourage them to reach out and talk to someone.

Many times a phone call is all it takes.

These guys have saved many lives - National Suicide Prevention Helpline

1-800-273-8255 (1-800-273-TALK)

Very sad indeed. That funny, talentuous, successful, positive etc. guy who commit suicide. Nobody is immune to sadness and depression. I feel sorry for him and all who loved him.

I feel a little bit disapointed about what he did too. What kind of message does his suicide send to other people?

I feel a little bit disapointed about what he did too. What kind of message does his suicide send to other people?

This is kind of how I feel as well.  Not only the message he sent to others, but like anyone who does this, it is a selfish act completely disregarding the effect it will have on those who are closest to him and care most about him.  Even thought the suicide rate isn't as high in the US as it is in some other countries, there are now more suicide deaths than traffic deaths in this country, it is just sad all around.

This is kind of how I feel as well.  Not only the message he sent to others, but like anyone who does this, it is a selfish act completely disregarding the effect it will have on those who are closest to him and care most about him.  Even thought the suicide rate isn't as high in the US as it is in some other countries, there are now more suicide deaths than traffic deaths in this country, it is just sad all around.

I suspect that the effect on others was not exactly at the forefront of his mind.

People with depression, on the verge of suicide, don't think rationally about the message they are sending to others.  They have a deep mental pain, and just as you wouldn't expect someone with 2 broken legs to make good decisions, nor should you expect someone with this kind of illness.

I am not sure calling it selfish is right. Severe depression can feel like your own brain is torturing itself. Most people have not experienced this on a regular basis. And to really understand this, you basicly have to experience it. No other way about it. I can tell you that hard drugs are amazing, but it is impossible to even have a slight clue unless you tried it. There is just no way to show this to someone else in picture or words.

I think it would be more comparable to being tortured, at a certain point you do anything to get out of it and mechanisms like rational thought and empathy are mostly shut down. That is also why mental illness often goes hand in hand with drug/alcohol abuse or other addictions. I think depression is basicly your defense mechanism (feeling bad about something) working a little bit too well.

most people are pretty much in the middle. If -10 would be feeling the worst possible and +10 would be doing pure heroin, then most people are between -4 and +6 through out their lifes. So it is pretty much impossible to really know what someone with bipolar disorder going from -10 to +10 on a regular basis really goes through untill you experience it yourself. The mistake people make is assuming that someone who kills himself does it when feeling like -4 instead of -10, and should have just slept it off or something. Especially if you have never seriously considered suicide, you should probably praise your lucky stars that you  won the genetic lottery in that regard and not call these people selfish.

Allthough it is not bad to attach stigma to suicide as a society I think.