What are your favorite investing quotes?

tede02

What is your favorite investing quote or quotes?  I'll start us out with a few of the famous ones that everyone knows:

"Be greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy."  Warren Buffett

"The key to making money in stocks is to not get scared out of them."  Peter Lynch

"Investment is most intelligent when it is most businesslike."  Benjamin Graham

“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to arbitrage and you feed him forever. (If, however, he studied at the Ivan Boesky School of Arbitrage, it may be a state institution that supplies his meals.),” Warren Buffett.

“No matter how great the talent or effort, some things just take time: you can’t produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant,” Warren Buffett.

“It is remarkable how much long-term advantage people like us have gotten by trying to be consistently not stupid, instead of trying to be very intelligent. There must be some wisdom in the folk saying, It’s the strong swimmers who drown,” Charlie Munger.

“A stockbroker is someone who invests your money until it is all gone,” Woody Allen

I have learned that I can only stick it out if I have some grasp on a highly predictable earnings future that presents me with a nearly certain massive earnings yield. Every time I've lost money it has been because I didn't start off with a company with a highly certain future earnings stream that offered a gargantuan earnings yield. -ERICOPOLY

None of these are specifically about investing, but I think they all apply.  I love RAH.

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."

--Robert A. Heinlein

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me."

--Robert A. Heinlein

"One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others."

--Robert A. Heinlein

"Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done."

--Robert A. Heinlein

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Only buy assets that are non-operational and turn it operational

- "the wise one"

Dont buy assets from a successful businessman. They have milked the cow and you have no cost advantages. Buy from fools that want to build empires.

- patel family

Guest 50centdollars

After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. - Jesse Livermore

"You make your most money in bear markets, you just don't realize it at the time" - Shelby Cullom Davis

"You can either have cheap stocks or you can have good news, but you can't have both" - Joe Rosenberg

"In investing, if you are good, you're right six times out of ten. You're never going to be right nine times out of ten" - Peter Lynch

"I know what you do. You buy a stock and wait for it to be worth more and then you sell it."

- my kid

Smart kid.    Your profession is a little easier to explain than mine.  I design integrated circuits.  When my son was little I was trying to explain this to him and told him that "I make chips"  he asked "Like Doritos?".

As long as women won’t save we’re not likely to have many women millionaires in this country.

Hetty Green

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the vast majority of millionaires are both straight and married, which means that there would be almost as many women millionaires as men millionaires.

Here's one for all the is-the-market-overvalued? posters out there:

"In market analysis there are no margins of safety; you are either right or wrong, and if you are wrong, you lose money."

- Benjamin Graham, Security Analysis