RSS Reader for Sec.gov

Evolveus

I still mourn the loss of Google Reader, but alas, I must go on.  At work, my PC has Internet Explorer which is pretty lame except for the ease of subscribing to SEC RSS feeds under the 'favorites' button.

At home I have a mac that can run safari, firefox, and chrome.  Chrome is my browser of choice but Firefox is a close second.  Any suggestions on the best, cleanest, simplest RSS reader for SEC feeds for either of those browsers?  I'll even use safari if it has a simple reader. 

Thanks in advance.

Apologies as this is somewhat off topic, but does anyone know of a good way to get RSS feeds or any other type of regular notifications of ASX filings?

From what I can see, you may need to create your own.

Use something like http://page2rss.com/ .

Just input the company announcement page into the URL spot and it will create an RSS reference for your reader. 

I tried one for Toro Energy here.

From here, http://www.asx.com.au/asx/research/companyInfo.do?by=asxCode&asxCode=TOE#headlines

Result, http://page2rss.com/1bcca8570d74ae34ef5f9b44a4a6e355

On the right side of page2Rss there are links to put the newly created feed in your reader of choice.

I still mourn the loss of Google Reader, but alas, I must go on.  At work, my PC has Internet Explorer which is pretty lame except for the ease of subscribing to SEC RSS feeds under the 'favorites' button.

At home I have a mac that can run safari, firefox, and chrome.  Chrome is my browser of choice but Firefox is a close second.  Any suggestions on the best, cleanest, simplest RSS reader for SEC feeds for either of those browsers?  I'll even use safari if it has a simple reader. 

Thanks in advance.

Are you looking for company-specific feeds, all new SEC filings or both?

If you're looking for an RSS Reader that meets the following tests

1) Can comfortably handle 100 feeds or more with 1000+ daily updates

2) Has a customizable interface to adjust the views, font size etc

3) Easily imports and exports RSS feeds via OPML files

4) Has a great search box to search your old Rss feeds

5) Is integrated with twitter etc to share your feeds

6) Is free

I suggest Inoreader. I started with feedly but they had a paid version for using a search box to search feeds so for power users it didn't make sense.

Inoreader has been very satisfactory and I strongly recommend you give it a try

Disclosure: Only association with Inoreader is that of a very satisfied free user and I think it's the best Google Reader replacement I have come across  :)

Thanks in advance.

Are you looking for company-specific feeds, all new SEC filings or both?

Both. Typically I track rss of investment managers that I like. On occasion there are companies that I'll follow thru SEC bc I may see a non-SEC filing shop I respect file on a specific company. Ie, Castle Union on Meru Networks.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have feedly on my iphone and I have gotten used to it.  I guess I'll try it on the Mac at home as well.

On the Mac and iOS devices, I use Reeder exclusively.  I use it with FeedWrangler, but I believe it can interface to Feedly.

I've been using Feedly.  At first I didn't like it as much as Google Reader, but it has grown on me.  There are some settings to make it more usable, for instance set "index" view as your startpage.

+1

Thanks, yeah, Feedly is almost unusable by default, just a bunch of pictures and all your feeds crammed together.  My current settings are as follows:

General

Start Page

Which page would you like feedly to load when you start feedly ? Tips: You can also bookmark any feedly page and jump back to that page directly.

Index

Default View

Change the view setting of all category and feed pages at once.

Magazine

Featured

Showcase the 3 most engaging posts at the top of each page.

No

Hide Read Posts

Should feedly hide articles once you have read them?

Yes

Categories With No Updates

Use this knob to hide the categories with no updates in the left navigation panel.

Hide

Display Density

How dense should the list view be?

Compact (densest)

Source Index

Should the magazine view include a list of the feeds in that category?

No

Index Link

Should feedly include the index link in the left navigation bar?

Yes

I've been using Feedly.  At first I didn't like it as much as Google Reader, but it has grown on me.  There are some settings to make it more usable, for instance set "index" view as your startpage.

+1

Thanks, yeah, Feedly is almost unusable by default, just a bunch of pictures and all your feeds crammed together.  My current settings are as follows:

How would your feeds ideally be organized?

+1

How would your feeds ideally be organized?

I like how I have feedly set up now (see above settings) I start with the index view where I have all my feeds in their proper categories and I pick one feed to view.  I then go back to the index if I want to pick another feed to view.  I don't like the feedly views that mix items from all of your feeds together.

Here are the names in my RSS feed.  I compiled this off the top of my head while at work, so I'm certain that there are great names that I am missing (the most obvious being BRK).  If anyone has compelling suggestions of firms to add to the list, I'd be glad to hear them. 

FWIW - I think the Manual of Ideas Super Investor Issues are pretty thorough, as well as sites like dataroma and whale wisdom

402 CAPITAL LLC  (0001595563)

Arlington Value Capital, LLC  (0001568820)

Ashe Capital Partners, LP  (0001588883)

Baker Street Capital Management, LLC  (0001488207)

BAUPOST GROUP LLC/MA  (0001061768)

Becker Drapkin Management, L.P.  (0001346543)

Brave Warrior Advisors, LLC  (0001553733)

Castle Union LLC  (0001593953)

Dalal Street, LLC  (0001549575)

East Coast Asset Management, LLC.  (0001579254)

FAIRHOLME CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LLC  (0001056831)

HAYMAN CAPITAL MANAGEMENT, L.P.  (0001420192)

Kerrisdale Advisers, LLC  (0001569688)

LAMPERT EDWARD S  (0001183200)

MARCATO CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP  (0001541996)

Pershing Square Capital Management, L.P.  (0001336528)

SQ Advisors, LLC  (0001534380)

Third Point LLC  (0001040273)

ValueAct Holdings, L.P.  (0001418814)

YACKTMAN ASSET MANAGEMENT LP  (0000905567)

YACKTMAN DONALD A  (0001173739)

• 5 weeks later...

I've added several names to that list that I culled out of the Manual of Ideas book.  Question:  I exported my list from Internet Explorer as a .opml file.

Does anyone have any experience import an .opml file type into these readers.  I can just go and manually re-enter, but thought I'd ask.

TIA!