off-topic: World Cup

writser

I know this is a Canadian board, but seriously, is there no topic about the World Cup yet? At least there are a couple of Germans here, Dutchies, a Mexican and the USA is well-represented. Not sure if Gio is interested anymore :) . I just witnessed a great match, Chile vs. Brazil. Brazil is through, but all in vain. The Dutchies will take this one! Or the Germans - as usual.

If this guy plays, I think the USMNT wins.

http://the18.com/sites/default/files/Will-Ferrell-US-Soccer-Stats.jpg

Brazil vs Chile was fun to watch. Chile almost pulled off the win before the penalty kicks.

It was good to watch!

TBF to Brazil, that wasn't handball by Hulk for the disallowed 2nd goal. Julio Cesar and the bar kept them in the game after that.

I'd love a Brazil vs. Argentina final, with Messi scoring the winning goal. Would be some redemption for him in the eyes of Argentinians, that.

Best,

Ragu

Not sure if Gio is interested anymore :)

A really shameful World Cup for Italy… And the second in a row!!… Very bad! :(

But I am a tennis player, and I am enjoying Wimbledon right now: I think Nole Djokovic is the best tennis player out there, and the way he plays is simply amazing… though I must admit Rafa Nadal is a wonder athlete, and to defeat him in a 3 out of 5 sets match is almost an impossible task! ;)

Cheers,

Gio

After seeing Colombia yesterday, I would say that they have a chance against Brazil.

Costa Rica should go into quarter final, like the Netherlands, like Belgium, France, Germany.

Don't put Belgium too quick into the next flight.    We have one of the best goalkeeper with the colombian one who was amazing yesterday.

We will see if against USA, they can wake up ;)

Whoever the winner will be, it's always nice to watch a world cup, of my point of view.

Brazil vs Chili was fun to watch, as was Algeria vs Russia last Thursday.

We'll see if the Algerian team can repeat the prowess Monday against mighty Germany.

They'd take their revenge from 1982 and the Nichtangriffspakt von Gijón then. Better late than never...  ;)

Not sure if Gio is interested anymore :)

A really shameful World Cup for Italy… And the second in a row!!… Very bad! :(

But I am a tennis player, and I am enjoying Wimbledon right now: I think Nole Djokovic is the best tennis player out there, and the way he plays is simply amazing… though I must admit Rafa Nadal is a wonder athlete, and to defeat him in a 3 out of 5 sets match is almost an impossible task! ;)

Cheers,

Gio

The zombie Suarez incisor incident was equally appalling!

I know this is a Canadian board, but seriously, is there no topic about the World Cup yet? At least there are a couple of Germans here, Dutchies, a Mexican and the USA is well-represented. Not sure if Gio is interested anymore :) . I just witnessed a great match, Chile vs. Brazil. Brazil is through, but all in vain. The Dutchies will take this one! Or the Germans - as usual.

Well, some are still in mourning from that weekend. First that damn crossbar and the penalties, only for the next day to see the real flying dutchman. Football is brutal, must be the sport where most often the better team loses.

We, my Chilean-Mexican family, are still trying to find a way to cheer us up.

Well, some are still in mourning from that weekend. First that damn crossbar and the penalties, only for the next day to see the real flying dutchman. Football is brutal, must be the sport where most often the better team loses.

We, my Chilean-Mexican family, are still trying to find a way to cheer us up.

Not really. It's just that most other team sports in most competitions are played over more fixtures.

Mauboussin had some stuff on luck in sports in The Success Equation:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2012/11/luckskill.png

However, my national team lost to Portugal (back when Ronaldo was fit...) in the WC qualification playoffs over two games, so I certainly have less to complain about than you :)

investment wise; what is this soccer boom going to do in the states? NKE?

is it actually a boom? we have a lot of members down there so what do you think? the news here are saying it's the biggest thing since the super bowl on espn in the usa. does this mean anything?