Deep Value - Tobias Carlisle

Kraven

[amazonsearch]Deep Value: Why Activists Investors and Other Contrarians Battle for Control[/amazonsearch]

Tobias Carlisle, co-author of Quantitative Value, has a new book coming out called Deep Value.  It's available for pre-order on Amazon, but the price is pretty steep at about $70.

• 1 month later...

Eager to hear your review if you get to read it when it comes out in a month.

(Decided to post a reply since this thread looked a little lonely - no replies for a whole month - outrageous!  It's as if this board thinks Kraven, with his quantitative tendencies, has morphed into HarryLong.)

• 1 month later...

I liked it.

Good stories about Graham, Icahn, Pickens, Buffett, Greenblatt, Nifty Fifty Conglomerate area.

Some quant backtesting, but much less than his previous book.

;)

I'll be picking up a copy, too bad about the relative lack of quant tho.

On the other hand, that should make it more popular around these parts. ;)

Both of Toby Carlisle's books are superb, and he is always someone I enjoy listening to as well. He is definitely in the minority of investors who do in-depth and rigorous research.

Here is a presentation Toby gave at last year's Deep Value Summit -- it not only includes an idea but also an overview of his deep value approach:

http://www.valueconferences.com/2013/05/tobias-carlisle/

So the presentation is their methodology as discussed in Quantitative Value, right?  Interesting to hear him talk about replicating the MF.  Wes Gray has talked about their not being able to replicate it, but Carlisle explains that pretty easily and satisfactorily.  BTW:  Wes had some copies of QV on "sale" via his blog/amazon this week.  I dunno if he sold out yet.

So the presentation is their methodology as discussed in Quantitative Value, right?  Interesting to hear him talk about replicating the MF.  Wes Gray has talked about their not being able to replicate it, but Carlisle explains that pretty easily and satisfactorily.  BTW:  Wes had some copies of QV on "sale" via his blog/amazon this week.  I dunno if he sold out yet.

I ordered a copy on Saturday ($39.99 plus $3.99 for shipping) and he shipped it on Saturday. Still showing, so he must have more. I wonder if it will by autographed? lol

Toby Carlisle is doing a live chat on Reddit.

Kraven is on reddit???

Joking aside, this is probably worthy of it's own thread.  Things tend to get looked over otherwise.

PS- Do you know about/follow r/SecurityAnalysis?

Oh yeah, I'm bad, I'm nationwide.  I barely know what Reddit is.  I saw a link somewhere else. 

I'm not sure I know what Security Analysis you are referring to so I probably don't follow it.

Toby Carlisle is doing a live chat on Reddit.

Kraven is on reddit???

Joking aside, this is probably worthy of it's own thread.  Things tend to get looked over otherwise.

PS- Do you know about/follow r/SecurityAnalysis?

Oh yeah, I'm bad, I'm nationwide.  I barely know what Reddit is.  I saw a link somewhere else. 

I'm not sure I know what Security Analysis you are referring to so I probably don't follow it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SecurityAnalysis/

There's less traffic than here, but there also seems to be less "noise".