Easily see SEC footnote changes (free app)

celis

Hi,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and this is my first post - nice to meet you all.

Together with a colleague I made a small app to easily see footnote changes in SEC 10-Q/10-K filings.

The URL is: http://footnotechanges.com/

(Note: The name search doesn't work perfectly yet - search on ticker 'ko' to find the Coca Cola company for example.)

Is this app useful to your investment analysis?

It's just a side project, not a real business, but would be happy to help you guys out if there are easy wins here that I can automate for you all.

Hi,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and this is my first post - nice to meet you all.

Together with a colleague I made a small app to easily see footnote changes in SEC 10-Q/10-K filings.

(Note: The name search doesn't work perfectly yet - search on ticker 'ko' to find the Coca Cola company for example.)

It's just a side project, not a real business, but would be happy to help you guys out if there are easy wins here that I can automate for you all.

Great job, it looks nice.  Any reason you don't want to make money off of this?

I think you could very easily mine this and tie footnote changes to declines or advances in stock price.  Then you could take it a step further and then send out alerts when a new filing comes in that matches a condition that you've linked to a decline or advance.  That could have a lot of value for active funds, the types of customers you want to court.

Are you pulling from the real time RSS feed?

Looks awesome! It looks like for the companies I tried it's available through Q3 2013 filings - how long is the lag to be able to access current data (through Q1 2014)?

Thanks!

Let me check the code and our server capacity.

I think you could very easily mine this and tie footnote changes to declines or advances in stock price.  Then you could take it a step further and then send out alerts when a new filing comes in that matches a condition that you've linked to a decline or advance.  That could have a lot of value for active funds, the types of customers you want to court.

Yeah, an API was our original goal but the automated semantic analysis of the footnote change is not trivial. You can see on the website what our custom diff gem outputs - how would you go about analyzing this semantically?

I'd be definitely interested in hearing from fund managers what type of (consistent) data signals they look most for in SEC footnotes.

Footnoted shows there is $10K/seat value in this work, but I would need to talk to potential customers first, learn about their needs then see if it can be automated on a semantic level.

If anybody is interested in talking more about this, or if you know someone I should reach out to, please PM me.

Hi,

I am very cheap, but this is great, I would pay for this service.... but free is great too!

BTW what does footnote changes mean?

Thanks a lot to everybody for the enthusiastic response, very motivating!

This weekend my co-founder and I discussed the opportunity some more and we think FootnoteChanges can be a nice alternative to 10KWizard.

Specifically we want to compete with their lowest tier plan so we can keep our product focused on just the footnote changes, as we believe there is automation potential here beyond what others are doing.

For now, the service will remain free but you'll soon need to create a user account after 10 searches. Again, creating an account is free for now, but we hope to interact with our regular users to build a valuable product which we'll eventually charge $99 per quarter for - about the same as the 10KWizard basic tier. Early adopters who create accounts during our free beta testing phase and sign up when we launch the paid product will enjoy 50% discounts for as long as they stay subscribed.

Even when we make the product paid the first 10 searches per month will remain free. So if you only track a few companies, you're in luck!

Looks awesome! It looks like for the companies I tried it's available through Q3 2013 filings - how long is the lag to be able to access current data (through Q1 2014)?

Sorry about that. We made this website a few months ago and we forgot to run the cron job to take the latest scrape before posting it here. It's fixed now and the website will be updated constantly with the latest filings from now on.

Yes.

BTW what does footnote changes mean?

With footnotes we mean the text part of the 10-K and 10-Q SEC filings. Our site is focused on showing the changes in those footnotes hence the name FootnoteChanges.