Thailand and Vietnam

Here's a blog post from Mark Mobius that appeared earlier today.

http://mobius.blog.franklintempleton.com/2014/05/28/thailands-tensions-resilience/

There are a handful of Thai ADRs in the US, though most are very thinly traded (BKKLY and SMUUY, for example). The selection of US listed Vietnamese securities is even smaller - I could only find an ETF.

Is anyone here involved in these situations? Beside Templeton (and maybe Rogers) are there funds or managers that know these regions well?

Here is one:

From Opalesque TV

For over 21 years, Doug Barnett has been investing in Thailand, achieving a 3111% gain in value (IRR = 18.1%), while, as a comparison, Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway was up only 1860% (IRR 15.3%) and BANPU, the best performing listed Thai stock, was up only 1090%. Over the same period, Thailand’s SET Index was down 1%.

Doug Barnett is President of Quest Management Inc., the only Thai-based foreign fund manager focusing primarily on Thailand. Doug has twenty four years of experience in the investment banking and fund management business, and specializes in the Thai stock market for the past twenty one years.

http://www.questthai.com/main.html

Guest deepValue

I was flying into Bangkok when martial law was declared and stayed for a few days after the coup. If there hadn't been a 10pm curfew, nobody would have noticed any changes. A coup in Thailand isn't the same as a coup anywhere else; it's just part of the cycle of semi-operational democracy in the country. Nothing to be concerned about on the investment front in my uninformed opinion.

I was flying into Bangkok when martial law was declared and stayed for a few days after the coup. If there hadn't been a 10pm curfew, nobody would have noticed any changes. A coup in Thailand isn't the same as a coup anywhere else; it's just part of the cycle of semi-operational democracy in the country. Nothing to be concerned about on the investment front in my uninformed opinion.

Telfon Thailand. Someday the telfon will wear off. But in the mean time, I made a nice quick gain with Kasikorn bank. Too bad I sold early.

Im in Texhong. Half their operations are in Vietnam now, making textile on the cheap. It seems to me you buy into excellent operators with a low cost advantage for some time to come for a v cheap price. Probably safest way to invest in vietnam is finding chinese company's that set up shop there.