NPK - National Presto

benbuffett

Ammo, Diapers, and Cookware. Anyone follow these guys? Been around since 1905. Mgmt has 30% stake. Trading at a PE of 11. Divy has averaged around $5.13 (special divy included) thats about a 7% yield at todays current price of $70 p/share. Book value is 48 p/sh and no debt.

Yeah this used to be an income investor favorite until the bullets business went south....this is really a defense firm with adult diapers business attached.

Could be interesting, but I'm skeptical about the future of the cartridges business.

FWIW looks like Michael F. Price who use to run Mutual Shares back in the day before being sold to Franklin Templeton group holds a small position. Looks like he bought in around this price. No sales, no adds.

I find this stock more interesting now do to not much coverage.

Yeah this used to be an income investor favorite until the bullets business went south....this is really a defense firm with adult diapers business attached.

Could be interesting, but I'm skeptical about the future of the cartridges business.

Couldn't be said better and more succinctly! From what I recall, Maryjo Cohen runs it with a sharp eye towards minimizing opex, but the defense exposure is what drives it...

• 8 months later...

Ben Graham mentioned this in his book ( can't remember if it was intelligent investor or security analysis ) . I held it for a couple of years and sold it ( at a small gain). Their bullet business and diapers were ill-timed and an example of how they have strayed from their core business/competencies . I read about them when I first bought their nifty heat dishplus  from Costco years ago.  They are conservative, Mary Jo Cohen used to own a ton of stock and had attractive dividend. I worry about how they have been distracted by non-core businesses in which they are so dependent on a single customer ( the government).

• 5 years later...

NPK-National Presto

They bought two new companies this year, Rusoh, Inc.(fire extinguishers) and OneEvent Technologies, Inc. (security and safety).

Anyone else follow this company? Would like to know how much revenue these two new subsidiaries will will add to the bottom line.