Spring 2014 Issue of Graham & Doddsville

Guest hellsten

Guest hellsten

http://www.grahamanddoddsville.net/?p=1683

The students of Columbia Business School just released the Spring 2014 Issue of Graham & Doddsville.

The new issue features Arnold Van Den Berg and Jim Brilliant of Century Management, Philippe Jabre of Jabre Capital, Eric Rosenfeld of Crescendo Partners, and CBS Alum H. Kevin Byun of Denali Investors. This issue also covers the 17th Annual CSIMA Conference and includes ideas from the 2014 Pershing Square Challenge.

http://www.grahamanddoddsville.net/?p=1683

The students of Columbia Business School just released the Spring 2014 Issue of Graham & Doddsville.

The new issue features Arnold Van Den Berg and Jim Brilliant of Century Management, Philippe Jabre of Jabre Capital, Eric Rosenfeld of Crescendo Partners, and CBS Alum H. Kevin Byun of Denali Investors. This issue also covers the 17th Annual CSIMA Conference and includes ideas from the 2014 Pershing Square Challenge.

thanks hellsten  :)

• 4 months later...

I´m also curious to know more about "Denali Investors" or any other hedge fund focused in "Special Situations",

Thanks

ya I just read the 3-4 pages on him and I can easily tell that he really has a different view of how to invest from most other managers.... I am going to read his investor letters which I think are online.....

• 4 years later...

You were in diapers back then. LOL!

Brolgaboy was Sanjeev's enemy on Stockhouse and partially why he created this site. Rumour is that it was John Hempton. Maybe it was proven, I don't know.

He was a poster shorting Fairfax in 2002-2003 and thought it was a zero. Kept arguing with many of us here and smartest counter-puncher by far was BSilly.

He did dig pretty deep into Fairfax even finding far flung subsidiaries that none (if few) of us knew about such as in Mauritius and other places. Like every good shorter, he was able to pull facts from the company, some obscure, then turn every one of them as negative. Interestingly, Fairfax had to disclose much more about all of these including the really large Swiss Re reinsurance contract and it made me reconsider my understanding of the company, honesty, etc.

Problem is that he missed the big picture or mainly how large Fairfax treasury gains turned out to be in that period and that pretty much saved the company. Then they issued a bunch of stock at a discount to "friends" such as Long Leaf over a few years to patch pretty large holes that came as under-reserving from Crum & Forster acquisition, TIG, etc.

The latter is what killed the long thesis. We were right on the initial rebound or that the company would not go bankrupt. However, the negative surprises that kept occuring year after year followed by dilution prevented any real gain until they made that huge profit with CDS in 2008-2009.

Cardboard

You were in diapers back then. LOL!

Brolgaboy was Sanjeev's enemy on Stockhouse and partially why he created this site. Rumour is that it was John Hempton. Maybe it was proven, I don't know.

He was a poster shorting Fairfax in 2002-2003 and thought it was a zero. Kept arguing with many of us here and smartest counter-puncher by far was BSilly.

He did dig pretty deep into Fairfax even finding far flung subsidiaries that none (if few) of us knew about such as in Mauritius and other places. Like every good shorter, he was able to pull facts from the company, some obscure, then turn every one of them as negative. Interestingly, Fairfax had to disclose much more about all of these including the really large Swiss Re reinsurance contract and it made me reconsider my understanding of the company, honesty, etc.

Problem is that he missed the big picture or mainly how large Fairfax treasury gains turned out to be in that period and that pretty much saved the company. Then they issued a bunch of stock at a discount to "friends" such as Long Leaf over a few years to patch pretty large holes that came as under-reserving from Crum & Forster acquisition, TIG, etc.

The latter is what killed the long thesis. We were right on the initial rebound or that the company would not go bankrupt. However, the negative surprises that kept occuring year after year followed by dilution prevented any real gain until they made that huge profit with CDS in 2008-2009.

Cardboard

haha I was familiar with Hempton but didn't know about his username. Thanks man!