500 pages / week

McMatt63

I just ran into Todd.  Thought we needed clarification. He said it is 500 pages a week, not a day. Omaha World mis-quoted him on their article. He said he no longer counts the number, he just knows like a long term runner knows his mileage.

This makes me smile just thinking about all the people attempting to bang out 500 pages a day.  It was and is impossible* despite claims to the contrary.  500 pages a week is of course a different story and many people are doing that.

* When I say impossible, I am not referring to a single day in which it can obviously be done, but day in and day out where it cannot.

This makes me smile just thinking about all the people attempting to bang out 500 pages a day.  It was and is impossible* despite claims to the contrary.  500 pages a week is of course a different story and many people are doing that.

* When I say impossible, I am not referring to a single day in which it can obviously be done, but day in and day out where it cannot.

I think it can be done if you're the "boss" (per warren's case).  I mean if you determine it's your job, and it's something that you enjoy, why not day in and day out?

I think it can be done if you're the "boss" (per warren's case).  I mean if you determine it's your job, and it's something that you enjoy, why not day in and day out?

It just isn't possible.  Sure, on any one day you could do it, but every day?  What if there are calls to be made?  What if there are meetings?  What if you guest host CNBC Squawk Box every week?  These things would all take away from your 500 page requirement and then it would be that it's the exception not the rule.  Of course it also depends on what is being read.  Is it paperbacks or indentures?  No one is reading 500 pages of indentures every day.  Even if it was paperbacks it would assume that daily someone was reading an entire book, plus some more of another.  Ratchet it up to something that requires an iota of brain power and it's just not possible.  Flipping pages in the newspaper doesn't count.  We're talking about reading something word for word.

No offense to anyone involved, but this topic has to be one of the most ridiculous discussions on this board in awhile.

+1!  So if he read 500 pages a day, with a plum up his bum, would everyone here attempt that too?  ;D

Build your circle your own way folks.  It's not how big the circle is or how fast you get there, but that you stay within it and make good bets!  Cheers!

Separate topic - how/where did you run into him? Did he talk about anything else?

I heard he was giving out a stack of 500 pages plus a quiz about the material.  If you answered the quiz right and gave it back to him by the end of the day he'd give you a secret stock tip.  Word going around Omaha is "c c b d a a d..."

Separate topic - how/where did you run into him? Did he talk about anything else?

I heard he was giving out a stack of 500 pages plus a quiz about the material.  If you answered the quiz right and gave it back to him by the end of the day he'd give you a secret stock tip.  Word going around Omaha is "c c b d a a d..."

I thought it was up up down down left right left right b a select start?

CONTRA!

CONTRA!

Man, I loved that game. 8)

Yeah, well, I'm the guy who introduced Warren to Todd and I spoke to them both last week and they both said it was 500 pages a day, not 500 pages per week.

Joking aside, it would be nice to have some source information on this before everyone jumps on the bandwagon and assumes that one post out of the blue makes 500 pages/week the truth and not 500 pages/day.

Alexander Ineichen has a nice concept:

Wisdom

Understanding

Knowledge

Information

Data

I think we are discussing the bottom of the pyramid here (Data input 500 pages per unit of time).

How much Understanding and Wisdom comes out on top might matter as well.

:) :) :)

"Look at this generation, with all of its electronic devices and multi-tasking. I will confidently predict less success than Warren, who just focused on reading. If you want wisdom, you’ll get it sitting on your ass. That's the way it comes."

- Charlie Munger

From the 2007 Wesco Annual Meeting

Guest longinvestor

"Look at this generation, with all of its electronic devices and multi-tasking. I will confidently predict less success than Warren, who just focused on reading. If you want wisdom, you’ll get it sitting on your ass. That's the way it comes."

- Charlie Munger

From the 2007 Wesco Annual Meeting

+1

He repeated the sit on your ass advantage at the AGM. And the fact that they just have to do better than the idiots of which there is a large supply.