missing plane

ERICOPOLY

Alright... wtf?

Missing nuclear materials from former Soviet empire...

Missing plane that has a range of 8,000 miles...

I don't like this.  It doesn't make me feel good.  Maybe it crashed in the sea, maybe it landed on a makeshift airport bulldozed in a remote area where it gets refueled.  Maybe they can highjack a second flight bound for the real target destination, spoof the transponder from the second flight on the original hijacked planes' systems (carrying the payload) and fly the second hijacked planes' flight plan all the way to the target city.

Lex Luther stuff, sure, but I don't like how this looks so far.

Yet another hysterical post from me  >:(

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really baffles me is that you can actually still 'lose' a plane in 2014. Governments have spent billions of dollars on airport security, we can read license plates with satellites, we have GPS, satellite phones, radar, black boxes, etc. But a fully loaded plane disappeared and a coalition of 15(!) countries doubt, a week later, whether it crashed, flew to Kazachstan or Indonesia ... A similar accident happened a couple of years ago with an Air France flight near the coast of Brazil and it took two years to find the wreckage.

I think you could make a < $1000 tracking device using a GPS receiver, a satellite phone and a roll of ducktape. But apparently that is not as important as banning everybody from bringing a bottle of water in their hand luggage.

I willing to bet this has all been deliberate and the U.S. via Boeing knows more than letting on via acars. One of the pilots had a flight simulator in his house! Those are not cheap and the perfect way to practice stealing the plane and flying it to Pakistan, or somewhere else. If they have nefarious plans they get hostages and could very easily repurpose the aircraft.

These puts are not good for you.  ;D

That occurred to me.

Sort of like real-time self-experimentation on investor psychology.

But please don`t sell them because of my stupid comments, i don`t want to be guilty when the market really crashes and you lose money. :)

What really baffles me is that you can actually still 'lose' a plane in 2014. Governments have spent billions of dollars on airport security, we can read license plates with satellites, we have GPS, satellite phones, radar, black boxes, etc. But a fully loaded plane disappeared and a coalition of 15(!) countries doubt, a week later, whether it crashed, flew to Kazachstan or Indonesia ... A similar accident happened a couple of years ago with an Air France flight near the coast of Brazil and it took two years to find the wreckage.

I think you could make a < $1000 tracking device using a GPS receiver, a satellite phone and a roll of ducktape. But apparently that is not as important as banning everybody from bringing a bottle of water in their hand luggage.

I wonder if the NSA or other U.S. government organization actually knows more than they are saying. Given all the NSA spying headlines, they don't exactly want to reveal all their cards and explain how they know.

If the pilot(s) were going to commit suicide, why would they fly for HOURS off course?

I think it is most likely that the plane was hijacked and was diverted to a different location.  Think Pakistan, or thereabouts.

I also think it is most likely that they had problems, ran out of fuel, OR had a passenger rebellion and crashed into the Indian Ocean.

After 9/11 I would find it hard to believe that passengers would KNOWINGLY let any plane get hijacked.  I think passengers & crew would fight to the death to regain control.  If they could not gain control, then they would crash the plane.

I also think there is a small chance that the plane was taken to some airfield.

There was speculation that governments knew EXACTLY where the plane was/is and were negotiating with the hijackers.  That they didn't want word to get out and have a media circus.  After a week, I don't think this is the case.

Finally, I think there is a good chance we will never know exactly what happened, especially if the wreckage is 600 miles from where we expect it to be and is covered by 2 miles of water.

I also think it is most likely that they had problems, ran out of fuel, OR had a passenger rebellion and crashed into the Indian Ocean.

After 9/11 I would find it hard to believe that passengers would KNOWINGLY let any plane get hijacked.  I think passengers & crew would fight to the death to regain control.  If they could not gain control, then they would crash the plane.

"This is your captain speaking.  Please remain calm.  We are being diverted due to severe weather.  We expect to resume our original course once we have been given proper clearance".  Or whatever bullshit story.

Why would anyone panic?

Guest deepValue

The pilot was a political fanatic who, just hours after his hero was thrown in jail, went off the rails and took a joyride before crashing somewhere near Antarctica. Apparently the plane ascended to a level that would cause anyone without an oxygen mask to pass out, then dove sharply to 20k feet. After that, it took several 'evasive maneuvers' at low altitude. Sounds like a fun way to go out.

Just my theory anyway. 

i just find it hard to believe that somebody who's flown over 18000 hours would kill 200+ people just because his hero likes men. or because his hero isn't legally allowed to like men.

would it be possible to drop the (unconscious) passengers off somewhere, and then hide the plane somewhere until things cool down a bit? would there be a market for a stolen boeing 777-200? as spare parts?

"This is your captain speaking.  Please remain calm.  We are being diverted due to severe weather.  We expect to resume our original course once we have been given proper clearance".  Or whatever bullshit story.

Why would anyone panic?

Or turn off the cabin pressurization. You'd have tops 30 seconds before going to sleep.

NSA where are you? You guys spy everthing on the Internet, phone, etc. even the 100% innocent and well intentioned people, but you can't do the basics?

What a shame. You should be fired.

Maybe it was the NSA that needed the plane for its drug running operations.

NSA where are you? You guys spy everthing on the Internet, phone, etc. even the 100% innocent and well intentioned people, but you can't do the basics?

What a shame. You should be fired.

if you can spy on hot chicks by hacking their laptop webcam, why the hell would you look for something boring like a missing airplane.

Why would anyone panic?

Or turn off the cabin pressurization. You'd have tops 30 seconds before going to sleep.

Exactly. Apparently the airplane climbed to 45,000 ft shortly after diverting course, past the operational ceiling of the 777. Depressurizing the cabin at that altitude (or even at 35k ft) would take care of any unruly passengers very quickly. The pilot could have:

1. disabled the co-pilot or locked him out of the cockpit, then

2. entered a new flight plan into the autopilot/FMS, then

3. disabled the comms, then

4. said goodnight to Malaysian ATC just before entering Vietnamese airspace, then

5. instructed the autopilot to execute his new flight plan, then

6. depressurized the cabin and gone peacefully to sleep (then death) along with everyone else.

The plane would continue executing whatever flight plan he programmed (which could include any number of altitude and heading changes) until it ran out of fuel.

As for why someone would divert an airliner before intentionally crashing it, who knows. Whatever thought processes make it seem like a good idea to commit suicide and take 238 people with you could also lead you to do other irrational things. Maybe he wanted to commit suicide but never be found. Maybe he wanted to create a lasting mystery and be immortalized in aviation history like Amelia Earhart.

Finally, despite what the media seems to think, a commercial pilot having a homemade flight simulator in his basement isn't suspicious at all. Lots of aviation enthusiasts have homemade flight sims. It was probably running a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator. There are plenty of reasons to suspect the pilot here (opportunity and ability more than obvious motive), but having a flight sim at home isn't one of them.

So how long until the oxygen supply to the masks runs out for the crew and passengers?  Is there enough oxygen in the atmosphere to support human life at 45,000 ft?

I read that the oxygen supply to the masks last longer in the cockpit -- can't verify that but it could be true.

Putting that together, I wonder if it's possible to fly around at 45,000 ft until the oxygen runs out and everyone dies (except the pilot).

I also read that the oxygen delivered to the passengers is partially supplied by oxygen generators.  The generator works by compressing oxygen in the outside air.  But these things on a commercial flight would never be designed for the lack of oxygen at that altitude, right?  So could they really squeeze much oxygen from the air at 45,000 ft?