"Warren Buffett" of...

JANBIL

I am trying to compile a list of great value investors throughout the world.

I am specifically looking for those that are being compared to Warren Buffett (I know that nobody could fill his shoes  ;D

For example, I have seen Prem Watsa referred to as Warren Buffett of the North and Rakesh Jhunjhunwala as the Warren Buffett of India.

Are they any other geographic locations with "Buffett" like investors?

Thanks.

The list above takes an interesting departure. Rakesh and Prem are basically well-known value investors (mostly in equity securities) of their particular countries/regions. Then from Li Ka-Shing to Al-Waleed, you get a list of billionaire regional businessmen who own diversified conglomerates. Finally there's Slim who's probably richer but less diversified.

I feel like Slim would actually be more akin to a Bill Gates/Rockefeller than Buffett.

Let me put a twist on the same question.  Warren Buffett of the... and BRK of the...

I'm more interested in them if I can invest with them! :-)

Ok  :)  

So that's Brian Joffe of Bidvest Group: www.bidvest.co.za

His track record of shareholder's wealth creation over the past 17 years:

http://www.financialresults.co.za/bidvest_ar2008/performance_glance_02.htm

And, finally, Bidvest global footprint:

http://financialresults.co.za/bidvest_ar2008/global_footprint.htm

By the way, I'm very interested to hear some suggestions from the members of this board.

The list above takes an interesting departure. Rakesh and Prem are basically well-known value investors (mostly in equity securities) of their particular countries/regions. Then from Li Ka-Shing to Al-Waleed, you get a list of billionaire regional businessmen who own diversified conglomerates. Finally there's Slim who's probably richer but less diversified.

I feel like Slim would actually be more akin to a Bill Gates/Rockefeller than Buffett.

Slim is actually more diversified than people think.  Grupo Carso has businesses in several different industries: telecom, industrial, infrastructure, and retail.  He owns a majority stake in Sears Mexico, I believe.  He owns a large stake in the NY Times.  He owns a large stake in Saks Fifth Avenue.  He owns large stake in Bronco Drilling.  He owned close to 3% of Apple right before its great run after the iMac came out.  He's been on the board of a number of multinational companies.

He may be closer to Li Ka-Shing or Al-Waleed than Bill Gates.  You can also compare him to any number of Indian entrepreneurs/entrepreneurial families that own diversified conglomerates (Reliance, Mahindra, Aditya Birla).  But I have heard him called the "Warren Buffett of Mexico." 

It's always a difficult thing to parse the phrase that so-and-so is the Warren Buffett of X country.  I've heard Bruce Flatt of Brookfield called the Warren Buffett of Canada.  But Brookfield is quite a different animal than Berkshire since its primary focus is on hard assets and asset management.

Slim is actually more diversified than people think.  Grupo Carso has businesses in several different industries: telecom, industrial, infrastructure, and retail.  He owns a majority stake in Sears Mexico, I believe.  He owns a large stake in the NY Times.  He owns a large stake in Saks Fifth Avenue.  He owns large stake in Bronco Drilling.  He owned close to 3% of Apple right before its great run after the iMac came out.  He's been on the board of a number of multinational companies.

Also forgot to mention the financial services company owned by Slim: Grupo Financiero Inbursa.