Places to stay in Omaha for Annual Meeting

Packer16

Packer,

I'm not going, but as I read your message a thought came to mind.  I wonder if you could rent out a home on VRBO, then offer it on the board or something to other investors.  It might be cool to have a value investor house or condo for the meeting weekend.

A quick search on VRBO brings up some places that sleep 2-6 for about $300 or less a night, if you split that six ways you'd be at $50 a night, pretty reasonable.

Heck, here's a "beach house" (beach defined VERY midwest and loosely), a week for $1800: http://www.vrbo.com/463299#  I'm not sure how exciting a bunch of value investors would be at a pseudo-beach house in May, but it sounds cool at least.

I'm not sure how exciting a bunch of value investors would be at a pseudo-beach house in May, but it sounds cool at least.

That'd be pretty fun! I have several friends with homes in Omaha (I graduated from college there in '10), and could probably sort out a good deal. Something to consider for next year at least.

I was going to try to go to Omaha this year and was wondering about good places to stay that still may have openings.  TIA

Packers

Packer - the Ramada Convention Center on South 72nd street is centrally located. It's nothing to write home about, but

has lots of rooms. I've stayed there - it does the job. I like the location.

The Holiday Inn Express Airport is decent, located 1 mile from convention center. Easy to deal with. Nice rooms.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest longinvestor

The Council Bluffs area is pretty nice, I've stayed there when attending the college world series. Has everything you would ever want and a very easy car ride to the arena.

Thank you and much appreciated.

http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en/home?

This is the Priority Club (Holiday Inn) Chain of hotels' website. It is showing some availability in some of the hotels. Price is jacked up being close to the date.  If you plan to return in future years, you will learn, as I did, to book rooms early. You can always cancel or give it to someone, there's always folks on this board looking for rooms at the last minute.

you can drink enough at Borsheims and sleep in your car

or you can go to Wal Mart and double your money when you find some fresh foods that are expired.  ;)

I did this some years ago, but it is not very comfortable.

These tips are only for true value investors.  ;)

Guest longinvestor

http://www.omaha.com/money/plenty-of-rooms-available-for-berkshire-hathaway-meeting-vistors/article%20_46406492-dde4-54f1-8193-5782db9da08c.html?mode=jqm

More rooms available this year, at this time of the year and price gouging is somewhat contained. I suspect that more rooms will open up as policy in many hotels allows cancellation one week before (not the usual 4 PM on the day of). My tip for those looking last minute to get on priceline or something similar, consolidators? 

http://www.omaha.com/money/plenty-of-rooms-available-for-berkshire-hathaway-meeting-vistors/article%20_46406492-dde4-54f1-8193-5782db9da08c.html?mode=jqm

More rooms available this year, at this time of the year and price gouging is somewhat contained. I suspect that more rooms will open up as policy in many hotels allows cancellation one week before (not the usual 4 PM on the day of). My tip for those looking last minute to get on priceline or something similar, consolidators?

Thank you.