Biglari buys Maxim

OracleofCarolina

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw the story behind the ad. Incredibly bad business judgement to let that ad run in the first place.  Ironically, there was a similar issue at CBRL where Sardar was bemoaning their lack of judgement. Someone lost their job at Maxim over this, that's for certain!

Good to see that they responded quickly and correctly.

Best,

Ragu

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

"They’re priced between $76 and $320."

"With social media campaigns spearheaded by the likes of Tess Holliday, Ashley Graham, and Denise Bidot encouraging women to wear bikinis and bathing suits that make them feel comfortable regardless of their size, Maxim associating with that side of the women’s body movement — not the objectification one — could be a good move."

Very interesting - looking forward to seeing how this actually plays out. Makes sense to find ways to make money from the Maxim brand that don't involve selling subscriptions or advertisements. Selling clothes is hard - but maybe Lanphear can do it.

• 1 month later...

Yup - the article gets quite personal:

One source who left said morale is plummeting.

Adding to the sense of unease, Biglari has been muscling in on cover shoots and seeking to meet the scantily clad models, the source said.

“There is a level of creepiness to him that is off-putting,” said one former insider, who also said the staffers always know when he is in town because of the heavy scent of cologne that trails him."

Yup - the article gets quite personal:

One source who left said morale is plummeting.

Adding to the sense of unease, Biglari has been muscling in on cover shoots and seeking to meet the scantily clad models, the source said.

“There is a level of creepiness to him that is off-putting,” said one former insider, who also said the staffers always know when he is in town because of the heavy scent of cologne that trails him."

That's just what I was thinking. That article isn't exactly doing wonders for his reputation.

• 1 month later...

One of the things this article mentioned is a question I had already.  With Playboy going non-nude, will it be more of a direct competitor to Maxim?  Even with the nude pictures Playboy was classier than Maxim, now it will be no contest.  Someone might read Playboy for the articles, but why would you read Maxim at all?  I have to wonder what Biglari thought this could become? I don't see it turning out anything but bad.

Biglari sounds like a horrible person to work for. If the article is true, it sounds like he wants immediate results... in a creative company you can't really expect that and you should give your employees a lot of rope to try new ideas. If they were going to redesign the magazine they should have expected to turn off the base... but you have to do that if you want to build a new one.

I dunno. This whole thing makes Biggles seem like maybe he's not such a great leader of people.