Best Retailing Books

no_thanks

My wife is interested in opening a shop, selling higher end cheese, beer, meat, wine, olive oil, etc. with maybe a little lunch counter.  Going for the lower turnover, higher margin niche.  As I have access to a group of super smart and experienced people here, I thought I would see if anyone had any advice, or books kinda relevant to this types of business.  Does anyone have any experience with something like this?  If anyone has been to Highlands, N.C. we are kinda thinking a smaller version of the grocery store they have there.

My wife is interested in opening a shop, selling higher end cheese, beer, meat, wine, olive oil, etc. with maybe a little lunch counter.  Going for the lower turnover, higher margin niche.  As I have access to a group of super smart and experienced people here, I thought I would see if anyone had any advice, or books kinda relevant to this types of business.  Does anyone have any experience with something like this?  If anyone has been to Highlands, N.C. we are kinda thinking a smaller version of the grocery store they have there.

she should spend six months working in someone else's shop first. no better way to learn. even whole foods or something like that. great way to learn on someone else's dime.

she should spend six months working in someone else's shop first. no better way to learn. even whole foods or something like that. great way to learn on someone else's dime.

That is a really great idea, and seems so obvious now that you mention it.  I am going to really push for that before we make any serious moves. 

And it would be similar to a fresh market, just without the perishables, as we probably won't get a really high traffic location.

Thanks for the feedback, it is one of those things that most likely won't happen, but is fun to think about.  It is going to be hard for me to get excited about something with such a high percentage of fixed cost and inventory.