A new message board?

hyten1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a matter of policy, is it ok with forum members to discuss ideas generated here on other forums? If you want to keep ideas private here, I definitely understand.

No, I think that is perfectly fine Palantir.  There are no restrictions on what you can talk about here or elsewhere.  Cheers!

valueInv is now gone. Bad timing, I would have like to hear his opinion on Facebook and WhatsApp. Hope he will comeback someday and be more kind with others.

Anyway, we have a new board now, kind of!

Did I miss something? Where did he go?

Did he get a job at Apple and he can't tell anyone?

valueInv is now gone. Bad timing, I would have like to hear his opinion on Facebook and WhatsApp. Hope he will comeback someday and be more kind with others.

Anyway, we have a new board now, kind of!

Did I miss something? Where did he go?

Did he get a job at Apple and he can't tell anyone?

It's just written Guest now under his handle...I don't know more than that!

• 2 weeks later...

Parsad,

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I just signed onto the site with my smartphone and the new mobile layout looks great! I was shocked for a second trying to figure out if I had gone to the wrong site. The new layout is awesome on my android phone. No more zooming in and out; I just have to get used to the navigation!

Thanks for all the great work,

Ross

Parsad,

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I just signed onto the site with my smartphone and the new mobile layout looks great! I was shocked for a second trying to figure out if I had gone to the wrong site. The new layout is awesome on my android phone. No more zooming in and out; I just have to get used to the navigation!

Ross

Definitely cool to have the option!

On my iPad, I prefer the regular site, though -- for those who do too, there's a button at the bottom of the page that allows you to see it on a mobile device.

Parsad,

Ross

Definitely cool to have the option!

On my iPad, I prefer the regular site, though -- for those who do too, there's a button at the bottom of the page that allows you to see it on a mobile device.

This is one thing that bugs me about my ipad.  It basically has a laptop sized screen, not a smartphone sized screen.  Yet half the websites out there serve it the mobile version rather than the full version.  You have to constantly request the full version and some sites still refuse to give it to you.  There is one real estate website (I forget if it is zillow or truela) that refuses to let you view their website altogether.  They just give you a page that says go download our app.  There is a continue to our website button, but it doesn't work.  I'm glad COBAF lets you use the desktop version on a tablet.

This is one thing that bugs me about my ipad.  It basically has a laptop sized screen, not a smartphone sized screen.  Yet half the websites out there serve it the mobile version rather than the full version.  You have to constantly request the full version and some sites still refuse to give it to you.  There is one real estate website (I forget if it is zillow or truela) that refuses to let you view their website altogether.  They just give you a page that says go download our app.  There is a continue to our website button, but it doesn't work.  I'm glad COBAF lets you use the desktop version on a tablet.

I haven't run into that too much, but it's annoying when it happens. I guess it always takes a while for all web designers to figure out new formats (there's an adoption period). The good ones have already done so, but the less good ones will need a bit more time -- either for better mobile sites that optimize things differently for tablets and phones, or by serving mobile only to phones and not to bigger tablets.

If you use Chrome on your mobile device (which you should ;) ), there's a check box in the menu to "request desktop site".  That will request the desktop formatting for all sites by default.

If you use Chrome on your mobile device (which you should ;) ), there's a check box in the menu to "request desktop site".  That will request the desktop formatting for all sites by default.

I do use Chrome and have that checked.  Some sites still don't comply.  In fact, often when a site won't give me the full site in Chrome even with the "request desktop site" checked and even if the site has a "view full site" link that doesn't work, I can sometimes get it by opening it up in Safari and clicking on the "view full site" link.  I still prefer Chrome for all other sites though.  I'm exaggerating when I said "half the sites" do this, but a few of the sites that I use regularly do this, including the small credit union where I do my checking/bill pay, so this is a constant annoyance.

Yep, on the regular site, it is easy to see the new posts and reach them directly, which do not seem possible on the mobile version. So far on my iPad, I think I will stick to the regular version of the site.

Hi Jeff,

I believe on the "Menu" toggle on the top left hand corner, you can select "new posts" or something to that effect.  That will bring up the new posts.

Personally, I prefer the full site, but I can understand how that is not effective on a phone, as I always also have to zoom in and zoom out.  I think most phone users will like the mobile site, while most laptop, PC & tablet users will still prefer the full site. 

Anyway, thanks to Paul Clerc owner of Watermelon Webworks for maintaining the site and trying to keep up with everyone's demands.  Cheers!

Yep, on the regular site, it is easy to see the new posts and reach them directly, which do not seem possible on the mobile version. So far on my iPad, I think I will stick to the regular version of the site.

Hi Jeff,

I believe on the "Menu" toggle on the top left hand corner, you can select "new posts" or something to that effect.  That will bring up the new posts.

Personally, I prefer the full site, but I can understand how that is not effective on a phone, as I always also have to zoom in and zoom out.  I think most phone users will like the mobile site, while most laptop, PC & tablet users will still prefer the full site. 

Anyway, thanks to Paul Clerc owner of Watermelon Webworks for maintaining the site and trying to keep up with everyone's demands.  By the way, Paul will be in Toronto, so boardmembers can thank him in person.  Cheers!