A new message board?

hyten1

folks, i was wondering what everyone thinks about a new type of thoughts/post/message sharing website.

one thing i have notice in regards to traditional message boards (like this one) is how post can be confusing, repetitive and sometimes just not the best way to share our ideas and thoughts

for example the SHLD thread, many of the same comments, thoughts and idea are being repeated over and over again. and searching for important information among its thousands of posts can be confusing and difficult.

i was thinking of creating a new message board that will solve some of the issue above? what is everyones thoughts on this? is it worth while? will people use it? what are some of your wants?

i was thinking of a message/post/idea sharing site that will be a combination of:

COBF (traditional message board) + reddit + valueinvestorclub  + SHLD google doc that i have created earlier to highlight some of the bear/bull case (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QUeOJEJhD7_Q9WF2b-U_UV11L7gR2SXfYZ7QXE0CxEI/edit)

what do you guys think?

EDIT: hopefully the new message will allow us to share/discuss/discover/understand ideas more efficiently and easily

hy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest valueInv

folks, i was wondering what everyone thinks about a new type of thoughts/post/message sharing website.

one thing i have notice in regards to traditional message boards (like this one) is how post can be confusing, repetitive and sometimes just not the best way to share our ideas and thoughts

for example the SHLD thread, many of the same comments, thoughts and idea are being repeated over and over again. and searching for important information among its thousands of posts can be confusing and difficult.

i was thinking of creating a new message board that will solve some of the issue above? what is everyones thoughts on this? is it worth while? will people use it? what are some of your wants?

i was thinking of a message/post/idea sharing site that will be a combination of:

COBF (traditional message board) + reddit + valueinvestorclub  + SHLD google doc that i have created earlier to highlight some of the bear/bull case (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QUeOJEJhD7_Q9WF2b-U_UV11L7gR2SXfYZ7QXE0CxEI/edit)

what do you guys think?

EDIT: hopefully the new message will allow us to share/discuss/discover/understand ideas more efficiently and easily

hy

I agree. I brought this up a while back but found no appetite for change.

Designwise that's a hard nut to crack. You don't know how each thread develops. Sometimes it's more of a reference thread, sometimes more of a discussion. I also think the Sears thread is a anomaly as far as it's been going on for years and Sears being a very complex investment.

Would be nice to be able to search single threads, though. And a responsive web design would also be great.

This message board is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

...I just wish this board's software had a mobile version..like nearly every other forum software on the planet. I view this board on my phone a lot and it's a pretty awful experience.

Designwise that's a hard nut to crack. You don't know how each thread develops. Sometimes it's more of a reference thread, sometimes more of a discussion. I also think the Sears thread is a anomaly as far as it's been going on for years and Sears being a very complex investment.

Would be nice to be able to search single threads, though. And a responsive web design would also be great.

I agree. Sanjeev has done a great job, with regular improvements in the site.  The next improvement I would like to see is better search within COBAFMB.  I'm kind of the go to guy on the LRE thread, and most of the questions posed have been discussed earlier in the thread. Therefore the answers are often redundant.  Rather than being repetitious, it would be nice to be able to refer people back to those discussions within particular threads. 

However, the internal search feature seems to lack features of advanced search and the results seem to reflect an exact match of spelling and words that typically fails to retrieve important information. I suppose it might be possible to export an entire thread to something like a document where an advanced search feature could be used.  Would this be possible, and if so would it be cumbersome?

It already has this feature, I think. The search bar seems to be focused on whatever page you're on. So if you're in the SHLD thread the search bar is limited to that. If you're in the Investment Ideas board the search function includes the whole board.

some of my other thoughts are:

- able to view in threaded mode/just list?

- able to like or dislike a thread/post (kind of like reddit or quora) where the good stuff bubbles up etc.?

- another idea is to allow users to tag a post as bear/bull, or allow user to post to a dedicated bull/bear section (for the each thread) so that whenever users visit the thread the bull/bear case are layout in front of you pretty obviously (all post will be tag by user, timestamp etc etc.) instead of user needed to go through the entire thread to search for them? (kind of like the shld google doc that i created but obviously more dynamic etc.)

I'd love a board where people don't post things constantly like "[insert favorite stock] is down 1.3% today?  WHAT IS GOING ON?!!!!"  Or, "[insert other favorite stock] just keeps going down.  Day after day.  That's all it does is go down.  It's down 1.45% while [insert name of competitor] is up 0.9%.  WHAT IS GOING ON?!!!!"

I agree with the complaints as well; bought it up before as well, not many others wanted change at that point.

for me, the following features would be valuable:

-ability to follow specific posters

-peer ratings on posts (1-5 stars)

-peer ratings on posters (1-5 stars resulting from the average rating on their post)

-ability to filter for posts meeting star threshold

-ability to create sub-topic folders under investments such as AAPL, so that the discussion can be organized into specific sub-topics.

One thing that I think would be useful is to update the first post in a topic for a particular investment idea after some time.  It would contain highlights from the thread and some links to individual posts in the thread that highlight the bull and the bear case. The major problems: you would need a mod(s) to do this, it would take time to write the updates and the person who's providing the update is probably biased.

Guest valueInv

It already has this feature, I think. The search bar seems to be focused on whatever page you're on. So if you're in the SHLD thread the search bar is limited to that. If you're in the Investment Ideas board the search function includes the whole board.

Search doesn't work well. It misses a lot of posts. Try searching for keywords in some of your old posts.

I'd love a board where people don't post things constantly like "[insert favorite stock] is down 1.3% today?  WHAT IS GOING ON?!!!!"  Or, "[insert other favorite stock] just keeps going down.  Day after day.  That's all it does is go down.  It's down 1.45% while [insert name of competitor] is up 0.9%.  WHAT IS GOING ON?!!!!"

If it ain't broke...

Maybe just to add some color... My worry with "fixing" this site is the better looking and more usable it becomes, the more it will start to become like the Yahoo Finance message boards, which if you haven't seen them, are honestly barely a step up from youtube comments. The quality of the conversation and the people in this community is incredible, and I'd hate to pollute it with lower quality people, which I suspect would happen if it were "fixed".

If it ain't broke...

It is broke.

What is broken, exactly?  Do you realize that if members had their way, they would have kicked you out a long time ago, but after a few experiences in the past with kicking people out, I've chosen to give people a chance on here.  Rather than complaining, you should be grateful you've been given an opportunity here to express yourself, even though many don't want to hear what you have to say!

You guys whine so much about a forum that is virtually free, operates with an inclusive culture, has monitored posts, zero spam, and has existed in one form or another for about 12 years this Thursday.

Yes, we are slow in making changes, and progress has been gradual...and that is because things aren't broke by any means!  We've grown 50-100% every year for the last five years, and added new and exciting members who have added to the dialogue while retaining most of the old-timers.  How many message boards are out there that have actually improved and retained members?  Value Investors...no!  Fool.com...no!  Yahoo message boards...yeah right!  Stockhouse...nope! 

Tell me how many message boards have a thread like our BAC thread?  Or discussions on call options that are as detailed and informative as Ericopoly's?  Or track individual stocks and information about each of them like on our "Investment Ideas" thread?  Or how many have a growing conference around them in Toronto?  Even Mohnish Pabrai is now telling people this is one of his favorite sites?  But yet it's apparently broken!

By the way, good luck on starting a new board.  Unless you want to spend a couple of hours a day looking after it, monitoring posts, dealing with member requests and posting on there as well, it is not going to be easy.  This board was developed out of passion, not out of necessity, but has become a necessary tool for many when investing and networking.  That happened because of the culture here and great members...not so easily replicated...especially when one guy would give up sleep for years to look after it with no pay.

And to those that continue to show support for the board and aren't bitching, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!  Paul will be inserting a mobile add-on that should give some mobile functionality in the next couple of weeks.  The "search" feature is something we'll have to work on and tweak over time.  Cheers! 

All forums I use have weak searches, even Reddit's search is crap. Use google

Trying to find a post about something the premier said in the ALS thread?

site:cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca ALS premier

Trying to find a specific phrase?

site:cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca "If it ain't broke"

Trying to find a specific phrase but forget a word?

site:cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca  "good business at a  * price"

Trying to see if anyone called the March '09 bottom?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Acornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca+try+searching+for+keywords&espv=210&es_sm=93&pws=0&biw=1334&bih=839&sa=X&ei=YakDU5XANqjg0QG954HQAg&ved=0CBoQpwUoBg&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3AFeb+1_2+2009%2Ccd_max%3AApril+30_2+2009&tbm=#pws=0&q=site:cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca+bottom&tbs=cdr:1%2Ccd_min:Feb+1_2+2009%2Ccd_max:April+30_2+2009