SEC Live (filings website)

fwallstreet

http://www.seclive.com/

Found this via reddit. Have been playing around with it for the past hour, definitely way better than EDGAR! I like that you can add highlights/notes, but you can also download most financials/tables straight to excel. The latter works fairly well for the few I've tried so far.

Definitely worth checking it out, it's free!

I guess I am one of those weirdos who read Privacy Policies... their policy is quite funny!

Example:

You should revisit our TOU and Privacy Policy often to see if we’ve made any modifications, and because you know you love reading this stuff — it’s better than Sleepy Time Tea.

http://www.seclive.com/policies/TOUandPrivacy/

Agreed, those are great terms. I know T&C are a requirement for any software but I find them fascinating. From talking to my lawyer they are the ultimate gray area. In theory they might have some semblance of enforceability, but in reality they are close to worthless.

I believe software piracy prosecution is based on copyright enfringement, not a T&C violation.

I guess I am one of those weirdos who read Privacy Policies... their policy is quite funny!

Example:

You should revisit our TOU and Privacy Policy often to see if we’ve made any modifications, and because you know you love reading this stuff — it’s better than Sleepy Time Tea.

http://www.seclive.com/policies/TOUandPrivacy/

Agreed, those are great terms. I know T&C are a requirement for any software but I find them fascinating. From talking to my lawyer they are the ultimate gray area. In theory they might have some semblance of enforceability, but in reality they are close to worthless.

I believe software piracy prosecution is based on copyright enfringement, not a T&C violation.

After I posted this I realized that I didn't give any context. Seclive is saying all content is copyright by them. Yet they for the most part are redistributing free information. You can't take something that's public domain and then try to slap a copyright on it.  If this were possible someone would download EDGAR, slap on a copyright and sue any and all users.

They also say in their terms you are not allowed to make money from this data. Um...isn't that the purpose of reading SEC filings..to invest and make money?

Again, I am no lawyer. My view of contracts and agreements changed recently as I had my lawyer review some things. What I thought was bullet proof is Swiss cheese in court.

After I posted this I realized that I didn't give any context. Seclive is saying all content is copyright by them. Yet they for the most part are redistributing free information. You can't take something that's public domain and then try to slap a copyright on it.  If this were possible someone would download EDGAR, slap on a copyright and sue any and all users.

They also say in their terms you are not allowed to make money from this data. Um...isn't that the purpose of reading SEC filings..to invest and make money?

Again, I am no lawyer. My view of contracts and agreements changed recently as I had my lawyer review some things. What I thought was bullet proof is Swiss cheese in court.

They don't appear to have had any legal advice in building their website – they might have copied their terms from another site. There might be a problem with their "trademark" ("SEC live"), too. After all, this is not the SEC… :D It's a nicely designed website, however. Thanks for sharing!

Also even though they ask for your real name they don't make any effort to enforce it.  I put in 'rkbabang' as my name and it accepted it even though I assume most real names are at least two words separated by a space.

It is a nice site, hope it sticks around.

Hi guys,

It's fantastic to see that news about SEC Live has reached this forum. Thank you for spreading the word, fwallstreet!!

I'm one of the founders, and can comment on some of the topics raised here.

stahleyp: No catch. We're free - this aids us in achieving our mission of making investors more productive, while helping us become a lot smarter about what the market values. This is why everyone's feedback is so important to us (esp. of a thoughtful group like this one).

eclecticvalue: Yes, this is likely. In fact, we're already considering some additions that would appeal to Pro users.

oddballstocks: I'll let my co-founder Lou (who used to be a lawyer) respond here, because I'm no lawyer myself either :)

jschembs: Absolutely, his name is Keith and he's an awesome guy - hands-down one of the most talented designers I've ever had the privilege to work with. In fact, quite a few of our core team members (including my co-founder & CEO) are based around Seattle.

ni-co: Fortunately for us, this is not true. Not only is our trademark solid, we've filed for several patents. So we have - and are still working - with lawyers :)

rkbabang: Sure, we don't. But no worries, especially if you don't mind getting emails starting with "Dear rkbabang" :-)

I hope you enjoy using the product. Any and all unvarnished feedback would be much appreciated!

And if you like it, we'd really appreciate spreading the word!

Hi seclive,

Just wondering, is it part of your business plan to get thousands of investors to use the site regularly and then data-mine the info for investment ideas?

It seems you could tell which stocks people are interested in, what they are highlighting as positive and negative, how they rate the stocks.  After a number of years for each regular user you could correlate that users stocks and ratings with how the stock performed in the next 3 month, 6 months, 1 year, etc, and generate an automated best stocks to buy now recommendation for yourself with a confidence value based on which users have recently recommend it and which users have recently started watching it and the accuracy value for those users.  Or maybe generate the recommendations and sell them.  I'm just wondering how you are going to make money without ads and thinking out loud.

rkbabang: You can imagine that I really want to discuss our ideas to see what folks think.. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to disclose our business plan b/c of obvious reasons (competitors, investors, etc.). We've spent quite a bit of time thinking about this, and our thinking continues to evolve. The reality is such that we need to be mindful of what we share openly.

However, what you're describing is dangerous, and not where we want to go (remember the Bloomberg scandal). The privacy of our users is of utmost importance. We investors don't (usually) want others to know what we're researching. Just like we don't want others to read our emails :)

eclecticvalue: You bet. We started seeing traffic from cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca. Clearly we knew of the site, but hadn't signed up for the message boards. So I looked at the analytics, checked out the referring page, read the thread, signed up, and wrote my inaugural post. The rest is history :)

From what I'm seeing so far this is a fantastic community. We are value investors, and we created SEC Live for ourselves. Hopefully you guys will find it useful.

Do let us know what you think and we hope you tell others who may benefit from SEC Live.

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not, I found this one today, http://rankandfiled.com/

I've just had a quick look but it seems you can stream filings by type, search SEC filings or search and export to excel.

Bah, I have been looking for something like this for ages (like Investegate for US companies), this goes 95% of the way but the stream just stops after a few filings with no logic...discernible to a human. I don't understand why you would go the trouble of building everything up and then not think about this...whatever. Any suggestions on something but actually complete?

• 1 year later...

Looks to be a wonderful site, but I'm having difficulty making an account (and the browser is telling me there is a security certificate issue) - anyone else having this issue?

I found that this morning saying the certificate was out of date. I went anyway, so far my laptop hasn't exploded........... ;D