Scanning for Investment Ideas?

jm25

How do you guys typically scan for investment ideas? Any good blogs / websites?

Some examples of resources I use:

• This website of course
  • seekingalpha.com
  • seekingalpha.com
  • marketfolly.com

I'm always looking for new ideas to dive into.

Finviz has a great screener. But the best way I've found for developing ideas is to just dive into a company that looks interesting and look at its competitors. Usually it turns out that the competitors are more interesting than the firm I originally planned on looking at. Started looking at CTXS and ended up buying RHT, started looking at ATU, ended up buying PH etc.

Finviz doesnt have all the stocks tho. Google screener has a more complete list.

What I like to do is make a watch list of under the radar boring companies that have a decent moat. At some point they can become cheap again for the wrong reasons. Whenever there is a loser, you check them out and see if its a bargain.

Also googling for blogs on a regular basis can be rewarding. Lots of smart guys out there blogging their investments.

jm25

well I have had moderate successes and I have not even once looked at a screener the last 3 years excluding magicformulainvesting.com and gurufocus 52 week low. So one can go about it many ways. And regarding seekingalpha and marketfolly I have looked at them maybe 4 times per year.

What I am saying is the best way is all personal. Find whats best for you in your real portfolio or fake portfolio :D

For example I just found 2min ago that Tweedy Browne bought more HSBC this quarter and its at about the low of the 4th quarter so that might be interesting :D